• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It all started with APPBoost.EXE errors and went down hill from there ..PLS help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

It all started with APPBoost.EXE errors and went down hill from there ..PLS help!

ok I'm going to "TRY" "and keep this short, I just got a new motherboard ,RAM and CPU (all in sig..everything seemed to be running OK for about half a week then I started getting APPBoost.exe errors ( also for some reason it was disabling my Norton antivirus) I then noticed every thing I clicked on (IE:ICONS INTERNET EXPLORER E-mail ect) was giving me error messages saying "could not find path make sure you typed in right location or disk is inserted "(or something to that affect) when I went to power down I got a end task window for APPBoost.exe so I ended it. This same end task (AppBoost.exe) window came up five more times. I finally got it to shut down and when I booted back up bios beep was normal every thing seemed fine till right before I got to windows and it just stops at a black screen. monitor light stays green (not sleep mode) after rebooting a bunch of times and ending up at that same black screen I decided to reinstall windows. Now I was getting errors on the install saying file could not be found (same sort of error I was getting when I was clicking on (ICONS INTERNET EXPLORER E-mail ect) After I tried to reinstall 4 times and getting stuck at the same point I stared thinking maybe I got a virus or some bad sectors. I hoped on my other PC and went to Maxtor's web site and got there hard drive utilities and went through all the tests.. all was fine ...so I did a low level format still same thing! Thinking it could still be the drive I tried another ..Same thing..I also switched the CPU and RAM..Same thing I'm now thinking it's the motherboard but I'm not really sure ..That's why I posted in General..one thing I want to ask that is motherboard related is when you set up WinXP on a motherboard with raid ..even if your NOT using the Raid controllers do you have to set it up during the installation of the OS (you know were it says to set up Raid press f10 or what ever ) ? my other mother boards going back in today and ill try that but I could really use some suggestions my brain is ready to explode from overload!!

Sounds like you got yerself a problem ....Im sure that the guys in here will help ya out ;) theyre good like that It doesnt sound like yer hard drive or even a virus tho (so count those out)......just sit tight ;)

Re: when it's interferring with NAV....

larva said:
larva, thats the same virus i thought i had but I reformated 4 times (even one low leval format) and it keeps doing the same thing.. I'm confused ..I'd hate to go through the trouble of RMAing this motherboard if it has nothing to do with it..Man I've gone through enough trouble as is, puters been down for almost a week. :(

one more thing though is once I do get the OS up and running it seems to run fine till right after I'm done installing everything (IE.outlook shhhh.. I know all about outlooks exploits :p ) I'm gona reformat and reinstall with out setting up my e-mail and see if that works... This virus only resides in your registry setting I believe so if this doesn't work I assume we can rule out the virus..

read the link I gave you

It gives a blow by blow account of exactly what the virus does, what files it uses, and how it spreads itself. I'm not going to learn all that detail just to tell it to you. It is a virus, not your hardware.

Re: read the link I gave you

larva said:
It gives a blow by blow account of exactly what the virus does, what files it uses, and how it spreads itself. I'm not going to learn all that detail just to tell it to you. It is a virus, not your hardware.
Ya I read it and im looking into it now ..I dont believe I asked ya to learn all that detail just to tell it to me ;)... Thx

Not directly, but that is what it would take for me to answer all the questions you have about how the computer is getting re-infected after the format. It is an email born worm virus, what symantec has published on it is the authority. Fortunately they break down every move the virus makes, by examining it you should be able to rationalize what is happening to your computer. I can't give the any more detail without going through the same steps myself, I leave that to you. Good Luck.

larva said:
Not directly, but that is what it would take for me to answer all the questions you have about how the computer is getting re-infected after the format. It is an email born worm virus, what symantec has published on it is the authority. Fortunately they break down every move the virus makes, by examining it you should be able to rationalize what is happening to your computer. I can't give the any more detail without going through the same steps myself, I leave that to you. Good Luck.
OK well thx for the help :)

Back