• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with install of Mandrake 9.0I just tried to install Mandrake on my system a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Staz

Need Help with install of Mandrake 9.0

I just tried to install Mandrake on my system as a daul boot with win98. I put the disk in while in windows and it gave me an option to install Makdrake from there. I simply closed that window and shut down. Then Unplugged my scanner and printer and USB devices. Set bios to boot from CD rom. And rebooted. It gives me an option to Normal install or More Options. I select Normal. Gives me an option of Install Mandrake on this computer, or upgrade this system, or fix already installed Mandrake. I chose Install Mandrake on this system.

When I get to where it partitions the HDD it only gives me the option to use the whole drive. It doesn't give me an opion to keep my windows. And yes I did defrag.

I have a 30GB HDD with 22.8GB free. I want to put Mandrake on a 10GB partition.

What am I doing Wrong?
HELP!

Do you have a seperate partition for Linux? SOunds to me like your windows partition takes up the whole drive. If you have separate partitions, this shouldn't happen. If you hd is 30GB and in Windows when you select properties for that drive, if it says that the drive is 30GB and there is 22GB free, then your windows partition takes up the whole drive. Resize the partition using partition magic or reformat and when you do, partition the drive in FDISK, making two partitions, one Windows, one Linux. Linux will partition that partition into what it needs automatically.

Z

I bet being able to partition on your own would be under "More Options", but even then that probably won't let you resize existing partitions.

Sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!

No. Wait a minute.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!!!!!!!!
Make a back up.

I made a disc image with Norton Ghost. Defrageed Windows. Went into Mandrake install and resized primary partition. Installed Mandrake. restarted and went to Mandrake. It's up and running. Restarted and went to windows, "cannot find C:\WINDOWS.COMMAND.COM"!"

Start with dos disc
C:\dir/p
Bad comand or file name.

Restart with Norton ghost disc
Copy Image to partion.

Back in busines. Mandrake works. Windows works.

I guess by makeing a back up I didn't learn the hard way.

Back