• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The network name cannot be found.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kendan

Senior Punk
That is the error I get when I try to use network places to browse my network on any of the windows boxes (win 98 just wont show anything) . There are 7 computers on the networkincluding Win2k, Win 98, Mandrake Linux (Samba so I can see it with the PC, and in the same work group), Mac OSX (not in the workgroup but gets its internet from the lan. )

This has happened once before after a BSOD of my main box (win2k) I ended up changing the worgroup name and all was fine until last night when it happened again. The first time it happened was the day after I got Samba working. I can still right click on network places and search for the computers by there names and my mapped drives are still accessable I just can't browse my workgroup. Any ideas would be apreciated.

Kenny

that link is not quite my problem. And I have Win2k sp3 on one of the computers and it has the same problem:eek:

What is the network hardware? Hub, switch and are you using true cat 5 for the cabling? Have you tried resetting the hub/switch? Also, check you cabling for any possible issues.

Cy

I am using a linksys router. and cat5. resetting the router did not help I think it has something to do with Samba because the first time it happened was shortly after getting Samba working. When I get a few minutes I am going to make a new workgroup and put all the computers on it except the linux box and see if it happens again.

Back