• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to get network broswsing working in openSUSE tumbleweed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

In windows, I can browse the network for my samba or DLNA shares in network explorer.

I open up file explorer, click on network on the left side, and start browsing away.

In openSUSE TumbleWeed, I open "Dolphin" AKA openSUSE's file explorer, click on network, "smb" and nothing.

I tried entering my IP manually for my shares but that does not work. it keeps asking for login but that never happened to me when I tried acessing them via windows.

I cannot even access DLNA shares in VLC mediaplayer.

How can i get network browsing and DLNA working in openSUSE?

Nothing works for login. I never even had login setup for my network shares.

DLNA in VLC takes eternity and never shows anything. on windows, it does.

Smb is a windows to Linux protocol, and while it should be accessible from your Linux box, I have found it to be problematic. It would be helpful to understand more about where the shares are coming from (what NAS/OS is on use), but you can try sftp if it is Linux based. Sftp is default Linux to Linux protocol. Also try the default 'WORKGROUP' as your credentials, that might get you somewhere.

SMB share are coming from a dd-wrt router (Linksys WRT32x) running as a NAS and AP. or NASAP.

I only have 1 simple share on there that does nothing elaborate or fancy. Doors wide open for any computer on my LAN to connect to it.

(G{in}[AK)TION];8169922 said:
SMB share are coming from a dd-wrt router (Linksys WRT32x) running as a NAS and AP. or NASAP.

I only have 1 simple share on there that does nothing elaborate or fancy. Doors wide open for any computer on my LAN to connect to it.

I am not real familiar with that particular config, but I can give a little direction that might be helpful. If any of this is obvious or has already been done, I apologize :D

DD-WRT is a stripped down linux distro made to fit within your router, so somewhere in there you will be able to find the smb.conf if you ever need to. I dont think you need to mess with it for this, but someday you may want to dig deeper, and on that day you will want the smb.conf

My guess is that samba isn't installed by default on tumbleweed (pure guess, it might be already installed). If that is the case you can check the Suse Wiki for help with that. There is a good chance that it doesnt ship with samba, especially since it is a rolling distro (and rolling distros are usually shipped minimal ). If it is already installed it may just not be set to start automatically. I believe the wiki article also covers that.

Also, check that the samba port on your Tumbleweed box is open. Again if you haven't configured it yourself, Linux distro usually come with the firewall pretty locked down out of the box. I do not recall the smb port off the top of my head, but a quick search should get it for you.

One last (unasked for)) piece of advice: consider building a whole NAS box. Even though you might be happy with what your router is doing, adding a NAS to your home network is a fun project and can add all kinds of extra functions. In this case, your NAS box would be able to speak sftp and talk to your tumbleweed box easier. SFTP is also nice if you want to see a share from your android phone (yes it can be done with samba, but sftp is native and easier). You can easily add on a bunch of other bells and whistles as well.

Good luck

Samba is installed. I found that disabling the firmware will allow me to discover the share in dolphine but it asks for a username and password when there isnt one configued on the dd-wrt router.

Its not just samba though. wait hold on one second.

its not just samba though. network discovery and browsing is what I am trying to get working overall. dlna and steam play would be good examples of that.

Now as you can see, I increased the text. I have noticed on another forums site I go to, I have found that samba is getting the spot light of attention.

This whole thing with linux having such an uptight firewall is a turn off for me. I really did enjoy playing around and configuring some of my programs in openSUSE. Even managed to get battlefield 4 working in openSUSE at nearly the same level of performance you would get in windows (thanks valve!)

As for the NAS box, I do not have all the resources I need to build it. I am talking time, knowledge, money, space, and "the need" for a nas box. Which is why I stick with dd-wrt for this stuff since my nas requirements are small.

I mean I want to, but there are seasons where I just dont access the NAS often enough.

EDIT: sorry for any confusion. my head has been stuck in the ground for a while now.

(G{in}[AK)TION];8169964 said:
This whole thing with linux having such an uptight firewall is a turn off for me. I really did enjoy playing around and configuring some of my programs in openSUSE. Even managed to get battlefield 4 working in openSUSE at nearly the same level of performance you would get in windows (thanks valve!)

iptables is powerful, but who can understand it without a network engineering class? Im with you there. UFW or Uncomplicated Firewall will do most of the heavy lifting for you. https://webdock.io/en/docs/how-guid...work-your-firewall-ufw-uncomplicated-firewall will give you an idea of how to get started with ufw. Not sure if 'Suse has it, but there is even an graphical front end for it called GUFW ( graphical uncomplicated firewall) so that you can have a UI. I do not know a great deal about any game on Linux, but I know Lutris makes a ton of them possible in a way that they never have been before

Valve Software brought their Steam client over to Linux. Since then, they have been working on bringing as much of their library over to linux as much as possible while also helping with compatibility. They even included their own version of proton so now its possible to play windows only games through proton on linux. This includes the recently added Battlefield 4, 1, and 5. and possibly even 2042.

Back