• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game problems: help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

It seems that every game I try from Id (so far RtCW, Quake 3A, and the demo's of each) or not running on my system. I used to run them when I had a Diamond Stealth, but it fried, so I got a TNT2 M64. Now I get a grey screen, and nothing happens. I don't understand. I have a PII450, 192mbRAM, Riva TNT2, Win98SE, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I just wanted to see if the newer card does any better (the stealth was never that good), so I reinstalled them. Nothing. I've tried the latest updates, no luck.. Any ideas?

Your system specs cant and wont handle RTCW .. so you might as well stop trying.
About Q3 .. I have no idea...the game is old anyways, there is much better stuff out right now.

Ummm... OK, well I used to be able to run the RtCW demo with my stealth card, but I guess I'm remembering that wrong...

I don't get any error messages, in fact, it seems to be running; on both games, full or demo, I can still see the mouse, it is darker grey and the rest of the screen becomes lighter grey. I can move it around too. But that's all that happens.

Sombody has to be able to figure this out... Anybody? I run the latest set of detonator drivers.

Thanks!

rb26dett said:
Your system specs cant and wont handle RTCW .. so you might as well stop trying.

huh? i had RTCW running on a 500Mhz cele, 128MB ram and a TNT2M64 and it ran just fine. granted it can't run 1024X768 32Bit with max detail but it did run and i was able to beat the game.

just curious, have you completely removed all the drivers from you Diamond Stealth? a driver conflict could cause this.

as far as I know, I have removed everything. I got the latest patches for the games too. I really think it's a video card issue, as I ran BOTH of these games on the stealth, and nothing changed since then except the video.
I'll check on the removal again though, thanks

With a card that old, you might want to use an older version
of the nvidea drivers. I'd try 28.32 dets. (I use with Gf2 & GF3)

You might also check your Directx install. I think 8.1 is the
version you want with W98 these days....

success! I got the newest detonator drivers (which was listed under detonator, not tnt) and now RTcW works. It locks up, sometimes, but it's probably from either TNTclk (boosting my cards speed, going to stop) or from the same random thing that makes windows freeze on me sometimes. cool!

Back