• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the most extreme cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ARGON

Registered
Hey all you extreme coolers out there. I am a student when it comes to extreme cooling and I just wanted to know what regenerative cooling method (not LN2 of LHe) gets you to the coldest temperatures?

Is a phase change system like Prometia the best? How would that compare to a water cooling and TEC rig if you can chill the water to 0 deg C?

I just want to see what kind of cool stuff is out there that I should be looking at becasue I want to build a monster overclocker here in the next few months after the arrival of the Barton. :)

Thanks!

phaze coolers are definatly the most extreme of the overclocker coolers that can be relied apon for more than an hour or two. self made systems can double or more the capacity of a prometia or something if done correctly take bowmans system for example he gets like -74F temps

Yep phase change is the way to go for extreme cooling.
Bowmans system gets -80f with no load.Under load it get -44 evapblock temp.CPU is like -18c when stressed with multiple programs(real full load).

Now if you want to be beyond extreme, you could build a helium direct die system! :eek:
But that needs one heck of a compressor and an ln2 system to cool it. :)

Again a product of our Dutch SPEEDMASTER TOM

;) The BIG MEAN COOLING MACHINE ;)
118.JPG

See the link below for more beautiful pictures.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/a.p.versteeg/prom-li-pro

Last edited:
the cold temps are just the same with the .18's as the .13's colder is better.

Thanks guys. It was just the response I was looking for. :)

@ M_G_

That is a beautiful setup you built. Did it take a lot of work? Would you mind posting some pics and give a description of how everything is put together. I saw all the pics on the link you posted, but something this beautiful should be documented so students of the art (like me) can learn what is involved. :)

Would it be better to leave one of those extreme cooling systems on 24/7 to prevent damage to anything from the expansion and contraction of the materials? Especially since the CPU core and CPU backplate are different materials. then you have to think about the traces inside...theres just alot that could go wrong.

ARGON said:
Thanks guys. It was just the response I was looking for. :)

@ M_G_

That is a beautiful setup you built. Did it take a lot of work? Would you mind posting some pics and give a description of how everything is put together. I saw all the pics on the link you posted, but something this beautiful should be documented so students of the art (like me) can learn what is involved. :)

It's not my casemod :cool: a guy in the Netherlands where i also life did make this beautiful casemod :beer:

yes running a phaze system you need to leave it on all the time when your cpu is running you can turn it off once the power is off but must start it up again about a minuite before the cpu

prehaps but it doesnt get the temps and its harder to maintain

i posted a link a long time ago in japanese but it showed the work of a person that did liquid nitrogen cooling.
i have seen temps of down to neg75 C but in all cases they destroyed the processor and where only done to practice refine and research a viable solution for certian cooling aspects

country_3030 said:
I thought total submerson was the most extreme cooling.
No not even close.I already replied in your thread and told you that you shouldnt do it.I have done it, waste of time, lost my epox too.Nice and messy and the oil gets warm without a heat exchanger.

thorilan:
LN2 is not extreme, it is a one time deal.Now if that person was using an LN2 compressor, then I would say he was extreme.

How bout liquid Helium? Thats about as exreem as it gets 4k! Implimenting such a system would probably take a governet funded lab- but think of the oc possiblites:D

nealric said:
How bout liquid Helium? Thats about as exreem as it gets 4k! Implimenting such a system would probably take a governet funded lab- but think of the oc possiblites:D
Liquid helium would rock, as long as it was a refrigerations system.Apperantly MRI's use helium refrigeration, compressor and condenser of the helium system is cooled by an ln2 system.Pretty sweet.

Well liquid He I do have! hehehe... We have 100 liters of it in my research lab at the university.

When I started this thread I was thinking more along the lines of the most extreme maintainable and regenerative cooling. N2 and He boil of much to fast. Regenerating the liquid phase of the two substances is much too expensive.

Back