• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing an OS from scratch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

I'm planning on building a computer and I started wondering how i would install an OS (specifically Win 2k or XP). Is there any place on-line where i can read about this? Would i need some boot disks or..? And what OS does a bare (just built) computer have? None? How would it start up, etc. I know these questions are newbish but i couldnt figure it out.... And I didnt know what to search for so sorry if someone asked this already.

If it's XP, all you need to do is build the computer, turn it on, and stick in the install CD. It should automatically boot from the CD and start the instalation process. I believe 2K has the same sort of thing. If it dosen't boot from the CD, you'll need to look in the BIOS for a boot order option.

JigPu

And in answer to your last question: BIOS
Basic input/output system
That is the very basic sysyem that boots your machine up and readies it to utilize an OS. The instructions to acheive this are written to a ROM (read only memory) chip on the motherboard.

make sure if you have RAID or some 3rd party software to control your hard drives that you have it handy on floppy, then when XP or 2000 starts it will ask you to press F6 to install...

if you are trying to install 98 from scratch you will need a boot disk, if you don't have one you can get one here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

once you have your boot disk then you have to make a few decisions:

1. do you want to format first?
2. are you going to create partitions?
3. do you want more than 1 OS(dual boot)?

start there and feel free to ask more questions, it's a real easy process...

so if you want to use a bootdisk, just put it in, turn on the pc and tell it to boot up with cd support. then go to the CD-ROM or whatever drive and type setup and let it do its magic

I have installed win98 with out a boot disk. Just boot from the CD and it is pretty much like 2k or XP.

I dont know though, maybe its only 98se that is bootable.

WyrmMaster said:
I have installed win98 with out a boot disk. Just boot from the CD and it is pretty much like 2k or XP.

I dont know though, maybe its only 98se that is bootable.

I think that 98 and 98se full versions are bootable, but upgrade versions are not.

Back