• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird stuff with a WD1200 and Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

I built a computer for my friend. The hard drive is a WD 1200 regular, the board is a gigabyte ga-8iexp with a 1.8A NW at 2.4, 512 Crucial RAM, MSI Ti4400. Anyway, the trouble is with the hard drive. Windows was being a pain to install, for some reason with the hard drive hooked up to the RAID controllor by itself, it would not want to install Windows. After many tries, another person decided to try and instead began to format the HD in NTFS instead of FAT32, which is what I was doing. So we then hook up the HDD to the normal IDE1 connector instead of the RAID controllor (a Promise model), and Windows installed fine (Win2000). But, when you go into My Computer, two partitions show up for the full 120GB, one is NTFS and the other is FAT32. Eventually, we're going to move all his files to my computer and reformat, fdisk, etc. and hope that it is fixed. Has this happened to anyone before? Why would windows or DOS or whatever allow the same disk to be partitioned into an NTFS and a FAT32 of the same size, both of which take up all the storage space on the disk?

Back