• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP cpu vs Athlon 266fsb temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowman76

Hello,

I have the old-style 1400/266FSb ahlon in my machine. It runs pretty hot even though I have good airflow inside the case.

A friend of mine is selling his 1700+ cpu and my question is this: Does the XP cpus run cooler than the ordinary athlon 266fsb? Would I benefit from getting a XP cpu to replace the 1400?

I have peak temps around 60C at load and my old 800 athlon was way cooler eventhough I overclocked it. The heatsink is rated to support XP up to 2800+ so it should be enough...but I think 60 C is way too hot. I have removed the heatsink and applied new kind of thermalpaste and lapped it also. Dropped 2C but thats not enough. I had peak temps way over 60C :( . My 800 was never past 55C even after overclocking it heavily.

As you might have understood I haven't even tried to overclock the 1400...I really need to get it way under 60 before even thinking of overclocking.

I have increased cpufan speed but that only made my computer sound like a jetplan taking off and the cpu temp drop was 1C!!!
I would love to get lower temps with low noise if possible. Watercooling is not an option in this case due to funds and I have no space for a bigtower case under the desk.

Need some suggestions.... // Magnus

System setup:
Soltek 75DRV mobo
1400/266 athlon with large heatsink (60mm fan)
2x 7200rpm ibm hdds
Geforce 2 Card
3com nic
Nec cdr
Midi case with 2x 80mm fans one inlet one outlet
Slotcooler to cool geforce card
Rounded cables

what heatsink is it? Was it the retail HSF? or one you bought on your own?

I dont know which runs hotter... sorry, but that does seem hot.

what is that "large heatsink" that you refer to in your sig? there are some pretty crappy sinks out there that are rated for the higher speed chips anyway, that's definately too hot. the pally's (xp's) do run cooler than the t-birds, i'm assuming your 1.4 is a t-bird yes? the pally's also utilize quantispeed architecture, id think it would be worth the upgrade for you if you can get a good deal on the chip, if he's not gonna sell it to you cheap i'd just pick up a 1600+ @ newegg for 57 bucks right now. they're selling the agoia stepping specifically. most will do 1850 np with aircooling.

LMAO Quantispeed architexture that is just a marketing term to tell people that a 1.6ghz AMD will spank a 2ghz P4.

anyways a 1.4thunderbird puts out a LOT of heat so if you are using the same heatsink/fan a XP1700 or nearly any xp for that matter (except for 2200+) will run a good deal cooler.

If you're intrested in finding the exact amount of heat different processors generate at different speeds and voltages:
http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

Besides just generating less heat, a Palimino core XP also has more surface area to get rid of heat than a T-bird. Also, AMD's preformace rating is based on comparison to a T-bird so a 1700+ will preform slightly better than a T-bird at 1.7 GHz.

Well, after a trial by fire period for myself {heh, almost literally due to cpu temps in the 60+ area! :)} I can give the following advice.

One, bigger fan!! :) I have a vacume cleaner in my case, litterally. Go for a 80 or 84mm inside the case. Make sure if you do that you have a 300 watt powersupply or greater {I had to get a 350, one with two fans on it}. Crank it up to maximum, it sounds bad, but to be honest, quiet and AMD CPU is an oxymoron {unless you go for other means of cooling etc, which you said you cant}.

Make sure the heat sink is seated properly. The guide on the overclockers site is good. Ensure that you have thin layer of arctic. Ensure that the heat sink is lapped. After reading the lapping guide on the overclockers main site I had the distinct pleasure {note sarcasim} of sanding down my heat sink for about 30 minutes. I believe everything I did has made a difference.

From temps averaging 54 at idle, and 60 when at full ball I now have temps at 46 idle {Motherboard Monitor 5 says 64, ASUS Probe says 52}. So its quite the improvement.

Heatsink is not the amd retail. It's some kind of brand heatsink, can't seem to find the box at the moment. Something tells it's a spire heatsink but i have to find the box to be absolutely sure.
It´s an all aluminum heatsink.
I have lapped the heatsink and i have trippelchecked that it's mounted correctly. I'm using thermal paste of generic or atleast not artic type. Maybe i should try changing the thermal paste?
This thermal was good enough for the old highly overclocked 800..

About the XP. How big difference should I be able to see? 2C? 4C?

I'm borrowing a new heatsink sometime this week and will post results later..

Magnus

Checked the heat at the link posted earlier

old 800 athlon 42.6 watt
tbird 1.4 ghz 72 watt
1700+ palomino 64 watt

how much in real temp will those 8 watts do?

Magnus

new fan and new temps

Hey better let you know I solved the problem..got myself an Spire Whisper Rock III. Now I have 45 c after 4 hours of gaming...It's amazing...qiuet and affective...very recommeded!!

//Magnus

Back