• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Stealth PSU..wtf is this wire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

There's a power wire that has 10 pins. It says AUX on it.

It looks exactly like the 20-pin ATX power connector, except that it's only have as long.

I'd just like to know what this connector does. Anyone?

I have the Asus P4PE mainboard though. I think you're confusing it with the ATX12v connector.

The AUX connector has 10 pins, and it looks exactly like the 20pin ATX Power connector, except it's only half as long...

Plus, there is nowhere to connect this AUX to on the board.

Vantec included many AUX connections for more compatability with motherboards, server/dual-processor motherboards in paticular. Notice how you need that 24-pin to 20-pin connector? That's because most server motherboards use the 24-pin config, as well as AUX connections, that 10-pin connector probably being one of them. It's different for a lot of motherboards, usually depends on the chipset.

Thanx!
fd078a97.jpg

;)

Re: VAnteck

Gizzzmo said:
Vanteck not the only power supply with fans. Switching came out with two
:eh?: I've never seen a power supply that didn't have a fan. Yeah, there are a lot of power supplies with dual fans, but the Vantec is the only one I know of that has three.

And I just ordered one. :D

I'm using the 520W verson, and I must say the 5V line isn't what I was expected from the 52A +5V line. Its the rig in my sig, and my 5V line is around 4.89V. I was expecting around 5-5.05V:(

Find an unused molex plug in the case. Connect the red multimeter probe to the red wire in the molex and black probe to black wire.

FYI, here are the color codes for the various wires.
Black = ground
White = -12V
Blue = -5V
Orange = 3.3V
Red = 5V
Purple = 5V Standby
Yellow = 12V

Thanks CrazyJay:D
Here is the updates:

5V
MBM5: 4.89V
MMETER: 5.01V

12V
MBM5: 11.55V
MMETER: 11.60V

The rig was tested with CPU and VIDEOCARD OCed, Folding@home running.
As you can see, the 5V line is perfectly at spec:D, but the 12V line is still low. I have 6 80mm fans connected btw.

Are those 6 fans connected in series? If you're measuring at the end of the line so to speak, you may be seeing the effect of those fans.

The best way to check is with a molex plug that has nothing else on the same line. My PSU has a set of wires that lead to a single molex plug. A plug like that one is the best place to check the voltages.

I found out for certain what that 8 pin (not 10) plug is. The Vantec supply is meant to be able to handle server boards that use the 24-pin ATX plug. The 8-pin plug is sort of like a beefed-up version of the 12V connector on P4 boards.

I found that out in an article about a Tyan dual-Xeon board that can also use standard ATX power supplies. In that situation you just plug the 4-pin 12V connector into the rightmost 4 pins of the socket on the board.

The Vantec PSU includes both versions of the 12V auxiliary - 4 and 8 pins.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/tyan/tigeri7500/board.jpg That's the Tyan board in question. Note its 24-pin and 8-pin power sockets. The Vantec Stealth could run this board without using any kind of adapter.

Back