• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are P3 370s so expensive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Namagomi

Disabled
I've been considering throwing together a dualie p3 board, LORD, those chips are expensive. You can get a XP2400+ for the same price as a 512k cache 1.26gig p3. Are they all this overpriced, or am I just looking the wrong places? :(

i too noticed that phenomenon on ebay. piii 850's were going for 140 bucks. rofl.

Namagomi said:
yeah, no kidding. you could make a dual XP board for cheaper. I don't know who they are fooling.
its the people bidding that are making them go so high. and its not just one or two auctions.. its ALL of them.

are they made out of diamonds or something :confused:

its not just the bidders. my store sells em for a he11 of a lot too. they just cost more to buy from our distributer. doesn't make sense to me either tho. sucks when someone come in with a fried p3 800 and i have to tell them it will be $250 (canadian) to replace.

i just figured out i might make a profit by upgrading to a tually celeron. It looks like i can sell my 700e for over $50. Jesus.

advanR said:
i just figured out i might make a profit by upgrading to a tually celeron. It looks like i can sell my 700e for over $50. Jesus.
very true :D you should get almost 100 bucks for it actually.

Their prices for P3 chips are really disproportionate to the competition (AMD). With the price of durons at $50 for a 1+Ghz proc, I have to tell friends to get a cheapo AMD mobo and duron to replace busted P3 units. When they ask about a 1+Ghz P3s, i tell em its either a chip for $100+ or a chip and mobo from AMD for $130. Very sad indeed.

The reason the P3's are so expensive is that:

A. They aren't made anymore.

B. If your buying one, chances are you are buying a replacment, and you have no other option.

A year ago, I was so ticked when a 1.6a was the same price as a 1.0 P3. I was fuming.

the lowest P3 right now is 733MHZ, that's the one I got as one "high end" 2 years ago for $218, only 3 more were above 733 at that time.

the price is kept artificially high by intel to move people away from the PIII and into P4.
why on earth would they want people to buy a cpu that isn't in the flagship range?

looktall said:
the price is kept artificially high by intel to move people away from the PIII and into P4.
why on earth would they want people to buy a cpu that isn't in the flagship range?
good point. :)

For those in the UK (London area) I have found a supplier selling the PIII 1.4 S 512K and 1.266 S 512 for £89 and £79 respectively, which I think can be considered as cheap.

There's only 1 reason for this!!!

LAW of Supply and Demand.

There is very limited supply as Intel don't make them anymore. I guess big companies like Dell and etc. have inventories of this for warranties and other purposes (e.g. extra CPU for a dual board).

I guess there are demand and I good example is the person who started the thread. :) Not everyone upgrades to the latest hardware and I mean in general terms.

Actually, it's because the P3 has more power per clock than the P4. Sad really, but the reason they went to a P4 was because they had the chip maxed out. The P4 is actually a cut down version of the P3, as such that they took out some of the processing power as a sacrifice for speed. Then they use the "mhz myth" to make up for it. It is true that the P4 has other advancements and such, but it's actually true that a P3 is better than a P4 at the same clock. It's like comparing a Willy P4 (256 cache) to a Northwood P4(512 cache), the northwood will win every time.

This is all proven that a P3 head to head with an AthlonXP at the same clock, the P3 would win, whereas a P4 head to head with an AthlonXP at the same clock, the XP wins.

Radelon said:
Sad really, but the reason they went to a P4 was because they had the chip maxed out. The P4 is actually a cut down version of the P3, as such that they took out some of the processing power as a sacrifice for speed. Then they use the "mhz myth" to make up for it.

The P4 uses a totally different architecture than the P3. The P3 is 686, P4 is not.

Radelon said:
It's like comparing a Willy P4 (256 cache) to a Northwood P4(512 cache), the northwood will win every time.

It's nothing like it. The Willamette core and the Northwood core are the same processor design, the Northwood is just somewhat revised and has more cache.

Radelon said:
This is all proven that a P3 head to head with an AthlonXP at the same clock, the P3 would win, whereas a P4 head to head with an AthlonXP at the same clock, the XP wins.

Actually, an Athlon T-Bird/XP will still beat a P3 clock for clock. Why do you think the P4 was rushed into the market so fast? So consumers would see 1.7GHz and go "WOW!! That must be so much faster than that crummy old 1.3GHz T-Bird" and it's really not.

Radelon said:
... but it's actually true that a P3 is better than a P4 at the same clock.

Quite true.

... but it's actually true that a P3 is better than a P4 at the same clock.

I have heard the same thing and do not doubt it at all. I have actually heard Intel and other distrubutors of Intel products were facing heavy charges as to how they "falsly" promoted the P-4 chips as to how much more advanced they are over previously released CPU's are/were.

I dropped out of the Intel game when I spent $580 cdn for an intel 233 MMX when they were released and got robbed a month and a half later when they left their funders in the dust and were forced to purchase the latest and the greatest Intel product.

Intel has most certainly disapointed myself and many others in that reguard and the only reason I will buy/trade for an Intell CPU again is if it is used or going for dirt cheap. They robbed me for their promotion of such a great thing when they dumped it a month later after the cash was in their bank.

Back