• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SBC Yahoo! DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

So what do you guys think? I have and have had the original SBC DSL. I like it, it's fast and all that. I now have the option to 'upgrade' for free, and it does have alot of cool things. Free webspace for pics, like 150 megs, then expanded Yahoo! mail features (my girlfriend and I both have our primary email at a yahoo.com address, they have GREAT webmail), and a whole buch of other perks.

Thing is, it also sounds like a step towards AOL-land and not so much the 'real' internet...

What do you guys think?

--Illah

well, I've been using road runner for the last 2 yrs, and recently tried SBC DSL in my area ... it really slow compared to my cable .. but dunno about the quality of DSL line on your area .. try it first, if it's faster, keep it, if it's not, keep your old SBC DSL :)

The line stays the same, what changes is I get SBC Yahoo! DSL perks. I just want to know if the perks come with a price like Yahoo IM or some other crap I don't want.

Anyone else?

--Illah

oops :) .. i guess you're right .. i didn't read the post careful enough .. that's what happened when you answer other people's questions at 4 am .. lol :D

well, 150Mb webspace alone for free doesn't sound so bad :) ..

Their PPoE software completely sucks and is a real pain. I worked in their IT dept. for all of a week and a half when I moved back from CA and thendecided to leave...I had seen enough.

I don't know how it is in your area, but where I am (I believe I supported most of the E. US, though) it was horrid.

I'm in San Fran, tech central, so our DSL is the best I've ever owned. I don't know, I guess I'll just give this yahoo deal a shot and make sure to keep my mouse pointer on 'Cancel' in case they decide to start stuffing my comp with Yahoo messenger and a bunch of other useless crap...

--Illah

OK I went for it and if anyone else is contemplating the switch I say go for it!

It had options to de-select the Yahoo Messenger and enhanced browser crap, and I got 760 megs of webspace! Man, I could put up whatever on there.

Plus I've always used Yahoo webmail as my primary, now this links that up with SBC so they go to the same pop-mail account, it's pretty cool.

All in all a good deal.

--Illah

I was too late to contribute :(

I just switched our connection over from Earthlink to SBC/Yahoo! and it seems to work fine. There are a ton of features that I'll probably never use (webspace, 10 email accounts, home page updates on all kinds of stuff) but the service is fast and the price is right (signed up for the $29.99 a month for six months deal).

After reading the "what is your connection speed thread" I'm thinking that when we move I might go cable modem/digital tv combo. Those guys are flying.

Wedo

Wedo said:
I was too late to contribute :(

I just switched our connection over from Earthlink to SBC/Yahoo! and it seems to work fine. There are a ton of features that I'll probably never use (webspace, 10 email accounts, home page updates on all kinds of stuff) but the service is fast and the price is right (signed up for the $29.99 a month for six months deal).

After reading the "what is your connection speed thread" I'm thinking that when we move I might go cable modem/digital tv combo. Those guys are flying.

Wedo

Ha, I just did that too. I had Earthlink dial up and I just moved to SBC DSL. It's good, (well it better be compared to dial up) but do you that have SBC DSL notice that it's slow in the morning?

i also have the SBC yahoo DSL, i'm in the SF area also. the service was just introduced a short time ago for me and i've loved it ever since. No problems with the connection and i get pretty fast downloads for a comparable price. had the connection stay on for over a month now and no problems.

It wants to know if I want to get the Yahoo All Star games subscription or 125mb online storage.

The Yahoo All Star games subscription costs $8.95 a month.

I decided to get the games subscription.

Do you think it was worth it?

progamer said:
It wants to know if I want to get the Yahoo All Star games subscription or 125mb online storage.

The Yahoo All Star games subscription costs $8.95 a month.

I decided to get the games subscription.

Do you think it was worth it?

I don't remember, what does that subscription do? Just like a magazine but in your email?

DSL

I use roadrunner cable 'cuz its way fast, especially on upload.

But I did try SBC yahoo DSL breifly. Let me tell you that I had a horrible experience. The 2wire modem would not let me use a router. No matter what I tried setting up PPPoe and my Dlink router would not allow a connection for more than one of my PC's at a time. SBC of course would not assist me. And when I cancelled, I had to pay $200 to get out of the the 1 year contract. Also, it took SBC about 2 weeks from when I ordered the service to when it was actually ready.

When I called the cable guys, they came the next morning and took about 30 minutes to set the line where I needed it. I plugged in my DLink router and all 4 of my PC's went online without any trouble.

Also, I can't uninstall the 2wire software no matter what I try. I deleted everything that had anything to do with it, in my filesystem and in my registry. Its still there in my add/remove programs list, a constant reminder of my bad experience.

Well you can get RegCleaner to remover that from add/remove programs list. But some isps I had experience with took a long time to give you the self-installation kit because they don't activate your service until the beginning of the month.

No, the yahoo games all star subscription lets you do advanced stuff with yahoo leagues and tournaments. I'm still trying to figure out about everything it lets me do.

All in all, my upgrade has been pretty good.

I got 610 megabytes of online space. I still don't know what I'm going to do with it. The only problem is that I can only upload files that are up to 10 megabytes in size.

I also got the yahoo all star games subscription. My e-mail has 10 megabytes of storage. All this comes at no extra charge to the fast dsl speeds. Right now, I'm pretty happy. :)

Jon said:
Their PPoE software completely sucks and is a real pain. I worked in their IT dept. for all of a week and a half when I moved back from CA and thendecided to leave...I had seen enough.

I don't know how it is in your area, but where I am (I believe I supported most of the E. US, though) it was horrid.

If you use WindowsXP you get native PPoE built in. All other
M$ OSes have to use the third party PPoE crap.

Mike K said:
Can you use the webspace to host pictures? Becuase I got about 200MB I think with it and I don't know how to use it.

No, I don't think so.

The yahoo briefcase space cannot be publicly shared unless you pay an extra fee.

Back