• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Winxp/Win2k Refresh Rate Fix for Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ramuhz

Registered
Ok guys, I got a simple question here, we'll I think its simple; how do i Fix the refresh rate in winxp/win2k when it comes to 3d games and opengl games.. At any res I run my d3d games/opengl games @ 1024x768x32 1024x768x16 800x600x32 or 640x480x32 the refresh rate is we'll stuck on 60hz. Im turned off vsync on every application/games and my on nvidia control panel. I have a Chaintech Gforce4mx 440 64mb ddr btw WHQL 40.72 nvidia reference drivers. But the refresh rate is always stuck on 60hz. Ive managed to fix the d3d 60hz lock by using nvidia d3d control panel and manually setting the refresh rates for each res. But now, Im trying to fix opengl games, but I can seem to find any solution for it.

If anybody here knows how to fix this prob, please reply on!! :)

Download the new nVida drivers and use the refresh over ride function to set the refresh rate. I did and it works.

The only way i have been able to truely fix it, in opengl and d3d is by using refreshlock. Only problem is it runs in the tray, but it WORKS. Nothing else i have tried works at all, including the driver fix.

I use Rivatuner. It works great; deals with registry entries and doesn't need to run in the background.

Believe me, iv tried almost everything. Nothing works. My monitor makes a VERY awful sound at 60hz (sometimes) so i know if something isnt working right. I dont know if its just me or what, because im sure these tools work, but they wont do it for me. I dont know.

This pertains to Nvidia. The only sure fire method that I have come up with is to set my desktop resolution, manually set monitor refresh in dispaly advanced settings and play my games at the desktop resolution. As long as the game and desktop are at the same resolution the refresh will be where I set it. If they are different resolutions then it reverts to 60Hz

Aggieeng said:
try this http://xp-refresh.net/ it should be what you're talking about. either that or try different drivers depending on your vid card...but that link should do the trick...

ok, i have read all of that. so if i run my desktop at 1024 x 768 at 85 Hz and play my games at 1024 x 768, XP SP1 will keep my refresh rate at 85 Hz? is there only a problem with XP running at a lower refresh rate when you play a game in a different resolution than what your desktop is set at?

as i understand it, this is only for D3D games. OpenGL still runs games only at 60Hz no matter what your settings are at?

and has anyone tried RefreshForce? let me know how you like it and any problems you encountered, if any.

also, i just read that this is only a problem with Nvidia and XP. is this true?

one last thing, how can you tell what refresh rate your games are running at?

Last edited:
Back