• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about refresh rate and game settings...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sigur Ros

Registered
Hi, I have a GTX 1060 6GB and an AOC Agon AG271QG which is 1440p, G-Sync and 165 Hz refresh rate.

Now.. I know my 1060 is not able to take advantage of that monitor, but to get the most out of my GPU I want to know what game settings I should be choosing. I would like to stay at 1440 and not go back to 1080. The game I am currently playing (Far Cry New Dawn) is running very nicely on ultra settings @ 1440.
I do have G-Sync enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. But the games give me more options... for example:

When it asks me to set the refresh rate, should I go high? low? What does this to to my performance?

Do I want V-Sync on? Off? (I know V-Sync is an AMD feature. Does it have any effect on my system?)

Do I want to "enable frame rate lock" ?

I mostly use this system for photography, but I do like some games and am hoping to learn more about these settings and how to get the most out of them.
Thank you very much.

Set it to the native refresh rate (165Hz?) regardless.

Since you have G-Sync, V-sync is not needed. Here is a link about G-sync - https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

I would leave frame rate lock alone...no need with G-sync and most titles anyway.

Thank you.
The game max's me out at 144Hz Refresh, but I don't have V-Sync on or Frame Rate Lock on.
I appreciate the advice.

Back