• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

are there any dissadvatages to using a shim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If used incorrectly, they can prevent the heatsink from making good contact with the CPU and they may also short the bridges on top of the processor.

A non-conductive shim might "just" prevent proper contact between CPU core and your heatsink..

I can't recommend them, opt for the tiny spongy doodles usually on newer athlons.. they protect, but give in to pressure.

Cheers, Flixotide

It's not very easy to crack a core on an Athlon XP. You would have to be really stupid and be careless. I have mounted a heatsink on a Duron 800 and an Athlon XP 1600+ about 30 times total and no core has been crushed.

-PC

I must agree with Cullam3n. I've installed plenty of XPs with and without shims and after the first two with shims, I stopped using them because they just weren't worth it. I have never physcially damaged a CPU when installing a heatsink so I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't do it while intoxicated ;)

~THT

I used a copper shim once for about 2 days, I found my temps went up by 11 degrees on average and it just scared me away from using it.

i've never had any temperature rise from using a shim, either copper or non-conductive, but i hear other people have...........

i don't mind NOT using one when mounting heatsinks, but I use one to mount my waterblock, since it is hard mounted i can crank down the screws just about as much as I want.......

It depends which shim you buy, there are good ones, I would recomend the tweakmonster purple to anybody. There are also the bad ones like the thermaltake copper thing.

I have had better temps with a tweakmonster, as it tends to even the heatsink out so pressure is applied evenly to the top of the core.

If you are buying a heatsink that is known to be a pain to mount (AX-7) then use a shim. If you are using an SK6 or something, then don't bother.

i was going to get the tweak monster if i got a shim. i will prolly get a slk-800 so i dont need a shim for that but when i get money for water cooling i will prolly get a shim

Dissadvantages?

If the shim isn't non-conductive, it will short out things causing problems. If it is bent or defective or poorly manufactured, it can prevent the heatsink from 100% contact.

Would I recommend it?

Unless you were doing a supercooled project, no. If you were watercooling and using something other than the four hole w/ nuts, washers, bolts, and springs then yes. The four hole w/ springs and heatsink clips apply a certain amount of pressure whereas it doesn't crush the core so unless you slammed the heatsink on the core, it shouldn't break.

Yodums

I've got a shim on both my XP rigs. I can't imagine why it would hurt anything, and it made me breathe a lot easier while putting those big Alpha 8045s on. :D I say go for it, as I have yet to see any convincing evidence to do otherwise.

Back