• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Throttle Down' speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueacid

Just wondering:

If a P4 throttles down due to the lack of a heatsink (THG video), roughly how many Mhz will it drop to, to prevent overheating?

Just interested!

(BTW, I'm an AMD fan+user, with absoulutly NO experience with intel P2, piii or pIV!! AMD all the way)

Cheers!

i'm not 100% sure, but i think it will throttle down as far as it needs to go until it can run safely.
which might end up being a total shutdown.

like i said not 100% sure.

i think that throttling is awsome!! and i don`t think that it slows down THAT mcuh, because when we overclock and rise voltages the temps usually goes up a lot, but when we underclock (yeah i know that word is forbidden here but.. i need the example) the temp goes down a lot too, i`m prety sure muy tualeron can run without a heatsink at let`s say 500mhz?
please i`m only assuming things so if any one can correct me please do

It's a progressive thermal throttling thing. The hotter it gets, the more it will reduce the speed.

As batboy said, throttling is progressive. Throttling will kick in somewhere between 65-70C. Around 70-75C the chip will idle about 10% of its cycles. Once you get above 90-95C, the processor will idle about 50% of the time. I haven't seen throttling much worse than 50-55%, however the chip will shut itself down at 125C.

NookieN said:
As batboy said, throttling is progressive. Throttling will kick in somewhere between 65-70C. Around 70-75C the chip will idle about 10% of its cycles. Once you get above 90-95C, the processor will idle about 50% of the time. I haven't seen throttling much worse than 50-55%, however the chip will shut itself down at 125C.

Right!
I have tested and gotten my 1.8A to throttle back when it reaches about 66c. Running Sandra cpu burn in will prove it. When the cpu reaches over 66c in burn in, just do the cpu arithmetic test and you will see the score drop. I'd say a 10% drop is about right for starters.

Cheers,
Mike

thirteen13rulez said:
i was undr the impression that if a p4 reached between 85 and 125C that black smoke would start coming out........

Nah, I've gotten these chips up over 200C and they stll worked. That, of course, was in a controlled environment.

How the heck did you get that sucker over 200C???? Just curious about how it would be possible since of the CPU throtling.

200c - isn't that above the melting point of silicone (hell, i never pay attention in chemistry :D)

Actually the melting point of Si is 1414C. So I think it's pretty safe. At such temperatures I would be more worried about the package the chips are mounted in. But I suspect the PCB could handle temperatures up to 350C ok.

The real problem at 200-300C is that the metal inside the chips starts to stretch and break. Once that happens things start to short... and then the magic smoke comes out.

Back