• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some silly artifacting (square pattern, repeating positions, similar size)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Config: 6600 non-K Skylake on an Asus Fatality K6, compatible RAM (2 banks DC), R9 280X (Sapphire Dual-X). CPU socket pins were a little bent. But: No errors are ever reported and temps are okay (CPU and GPU each generally below 60C even under stress in games; GPU cooler than CPU), performance seems OK and Prime95 lasted 3 hours under intense testing of everything, with zero issues. No microlags, no freezes, no nothing.

The shape of the artifact is usually a square. The colours range from semi-transparent/translucent (even just an outline, actually) to something akin to 16-colour palette (pink, basic blue, basic green etc.).

I've noticed that downlocking the GPU a little (it's rated 870 MHz by Sapphire but regarded as 1020 by AMD drivers) and increasing the power reserve has helped; however, I don't know which of the two factors mattered more (or exclusively), and the issue has not completely disappeared, even though the difference is like night and day, confirming that something to do with GPU clock and voltage is the case. Hence, I don't think CPU is the root of the problem here.

However, there were no such issues with the card in my previous computer (C2D e8600 on Asus P5Q-E (P45), heavily overclocked), in which it saw very heavy use, which suggests the card itself is not a problem.

Like I said, the card rarely sees 60C in the worst stress, and even then the fans run relatively low-noise, suggesting that the card is well within its expected conditions and much below its expected maximum workable load, so I wouldn't think overheating or overload is the problem, especially in connection with how the card showed no problems in the Core 2 Duo rig in similar or heavier use. Then again, changing the clock and voltage very clearly, unmistakably makes a huge difference, so I've run into a contradiction here.

The CPU's integrated graphics is disabled. The only other PCI-E devices are: X-Fi Titanium (the most basic version, no additional power plug) and Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD drive, physically located just under the GPU socket (haven't installed any heatsinks yet, as I'm out of glue or tape/also considering cutting a RAM heatsink down to size instead, due to heavy space constraints).

Where would you guys start looking to fix this?

I would start by running heaven benchmark first, let it loop a few times and watch closely.

Weird. After downclocking it to 870 MHz and upping the voltage tolerance the card seems to sometimes run up to high temperatures pretty fast pretty easily without much of a discernible in-game reason, inconsistently with previous behaviour. I guess I'm gonna have to take better care of airflow in the case, but there's little you can do in the Phanteks Enthoo Pro without a side fan or even breathing holes. There's a bottom fan slot, though I'm not sure how much that's gonna do. Meanwhile I've ordered a bolt-through kit for my older, beefier Ultra 120 (s775), which is probably going to take the temperature in all of the case down a couple notches. Also turned voltage tolerance down to -10% to see if that's going to make the car heat less and dodge heat-caused stability issues despite not being ideal in itself.

Back