• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile P2 v P2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

Ok hers the deal...ive got an old 400 MHZ P2 laptop, and in CS i get HORRIBLE framrates! On my P2 233 desktop at the lowest res in sofware mode i at least was able to get 20 FPS at times, on this thing im luck to get 17-8. Is the mobile P2 that bad? and is there a way to OC? (prefferable w/o opening the case, seing as i striped the hell outa one of that cheap screws :( ) TY for your help in advance!

Probably the reason the frame rates are bad, is b/c of the video card. Even in software mode, you still need a video card. Usually the only difference between the mobile and regular PSU's is the heat output and voltage. Although the cache size may be different on the earlier mobiles, but I doubt that.

There are some programs out there that let you adjust your FSB from windows, but they may be motherboard specific. Even if you could, don't forget about the extra cooling which you will need to add. So I concidering O/C it isn't a good option since it may not be the CPU holding you back.

Is it possible that the laptop may need more RAM. I used to play on a 500MHZ, and going from 32->128MB helped a lot. Although it mostly just showed in load times.

aight, i have a trident POS wid card, but im in software mode...so does this matter still? im fresh outa ideas

Sorry, also Laptops have horrable RAM timings.

You can use Riva Tuner for the video chip.

However I don't know if this will work on laptops .... Worth a try,

Seems like only the newest laptops have good vid cards in them. And even the best ones dont have the best cards out right now. Isnt the top a Radeon 9000Pro?

Back