• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good demonstration on why Athlon XP is better than P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rizge said:
Don't See ur point
IT can take on 2.54 but it can even get near 3.06

I believe he meant it as a demonstration of a 2.13 ghz AMD owning an 2.5 ghz Intel.

Not like the top AMD could beat the top Intel, but that same clock speed=AMD wins big.

besides, a lot of people have been saying that the 2600+ and 2400+ etc. have not been beating out their Intel counterparts, like some have said that a 2.4 ghz P4 can beat a 2400+.

AMD wins because a) it's a lot easier to overclock b)it's a lot cheaper, and c)you can use it to heat your cold room in winter =P

Both have plenty of advantages, and possibly even better uses. I don't think I'd notice alot of diferance between an amd and an intel that cost approximatly the same price. With amd I end up paying the diferance in silent cooling. Good heatsinks, and papst fans cost money too. I think people fight over something they won't really notice too much. :)

*burps and passes out*

Warehouse said:

No offense but that is a horrible review which is tailored to make the AMD chip look good (that's surprising - it's on Amdmb.com). Intel Pentium 4's at stock speeds are only able to achieve their full performance with RDRAM and that is a well known fact.

Even if they did use DDR with the Pentium 4, it should at least be at the same speed as the AMD 2600+ chip! Not only did they run the memory slower for the Pentium 4 system but they also chose to run it on an Intel motherboard which likely has standard settings (that cannot be changed and sacrifice performance for stability). This is a problem because they specifically state:
The system setup for this review consists of the test setup that AMD delivered to us which was basically an Athlon XP 2600+ processor, an Epox 8K3A+ motherboard based on the KT333 chipset, and 512 MB of TwinMOS PC2700 memory. I switched it out for Corsair XMS3200 memory instead to try and get the best memory settings possible.

So far they are cutting the performance of the Pentium 4 by not using it's best memory for stock speeds (RDRAM) and then they further cut the Pentium 4 performance by using slower memory than the AMD. As if that wasn't enough, on the AMD system they use the most aggressive timings on the already faster memory while they leave the slower memory on the Pentium 4 at conservative settings.

Here both of the AMD setups are able to walk over the Intel 2.53 GHz system. The Athlon XP 2600+ is able to beat it by a very handy 25%.

I'd like to see the Athlon XP 2600+ beat the Intel Pentium 4 2.53 / 2.66 with Samsung pc1066 32ns RDRAM at aggressive timings.

They used the same memory in both systems. Though You might be right about memory timings. I dont know if that motherboard supports adjusting them. I don't even both with intel (or top of the line amd) cpu's anymore due to them costing too damn much.

In the review, they used the Intel D845EBT motherboard. This board only runs DDR266 at conservative timings. The AMD board was running DDR333 (on a DDR333 board) at aggressive timings (the reviewer said he specifically used pc3200 to accommodate the aggressive settings).

In addition, as stated in my post above, the Pentium 4 shouldn't even have been running on DDR in the first place.

Back