• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD refurbisher needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Are there any good tech's out there refurbishing cd and dvd drives? Recently I have had three cd drives just quit on me and a couple of my customers. First my cdrw died, well half died...it would read sometimes but would not write so it was replaced.
Next was my DVD drive to die, and just the other day, I had to replace a cd drive that was in service less than 1 year. As I think on it, every drive replaced was less than 2years old.
And the kiker that really P.O.'s me that I got an old 2x cd drive that still works.
I hate to replace something that has yet to pay for itself, so I would like to send somebody a load of drives that can be fixed with minimal investment.
Is there anybody out there that does this kind of work?
It seems to me that most drives just refuse to spin up....are the belts as easy to replace as say the belt on a casset deck or turntable? For you younger folks a turntable is a nicname for an old vinal spinning record player.

I don't think you'll have a lot of luck, Doc.

I know the older SCSI Plextor drives could be repaired and you could order replacement parts from Plextor. But I haven't seen that in a while. On newer IDE drives I don't think you can even buy parts and cannabilizing replacements from one bad drive to another is a crapshoot.

My observations match yours, that the typical lifespan of a new optical drive is about two years. But when they're street priced at less than sixty bucks, something has to give and I guess quality was the first to go.

BHD

Back