• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router + Software Firewall.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD'er

I've been tring to decide whether I need to run a software firewall also...I've seen some people say that you should also run Zonealarm or some type of firewall behind your router...

Would this be overkill or does it come highly recommended?

I have seen sites push ZoneAlarm for use with NAT routers like the Linksys. I fell for it, dished out $119 for the Personal Firewall and AV package. Am I any more secure than without?

Well…I needed an AV program so I can’t argue that (I did not have one, but I am not in high danger of getting a virus either for now).

I am still out whether or not ZoneAlarm offers me any more real protection. For sure, I know it was stupid for me to pay $70 or whatever for 4 licenses.

The way I see it, ZoneAlarm and my LinkSys combo just automate things. A package just put together for folks that don’t know any better (an make Linksys $40 per sucker that pushes the button). I wasn’t a total sucker….I did want to mess with it and see how it works, but I could have done it for free.

So far…this is why I think it may be a good idea.

If you are running a web, ftp or whatever server to the outside, you can load ZoneAlarm on the other PCs on your network for extra protection. The port from your Server to Firewall may be open, but you can close it on all the others. Not that you need (or at least pay for) something like ZoneAlarm to do that, but it does make it easy.

Another reason I like it is because of the application logs. I like to see what is trying to get and ZoneAlarm does do a good job at that. My router keeps logs, but I do not know what sent it. Again, something you can get for free, but it’s a nice all-ion-one package.

Next, for some people, they may like the extra features such as Email scanning, Cookie Control, Spyware protection and Banner/Pop Up control. I am not sure how well the Email scanning works. I sure as heck didn’t need to pay for cookie and spyware control. As far as banner/pop-up control, I find it better to control that via Hosts file. It just works WAY better than any software solution I have seen.

Last, you have all this on one switch. Meaning, you can shut it all off if needed with but a click.

Sorry for the ramble. Anyway, the only extra protection I can see that this gives is by adding a second barrier. However, if someone was able to get through a properly configured first, I bet the personal firewall wouldn’t pose much trouble.

I tired it for about 30mins tonite...I use to primarly run Zone Alarm before I got my router ...but I agree...it seems useless

Depending on how much you are into networking and rule sets, I recommend either Tiny or Kerio firewall over ZA. I can get both of those locked down tighter.

Also, ZA had holes the last I checked, ZA Pro however is pretty secure option and easy to use. For someone like me who likes to have the most control over their firewall rules, Kerio or Tiny.

My security features, all of which are free:

Firewall: Kerio
Virus Scanner: AVG
Popup and Banner Blocker: Proxomitron

Look at your network. If your switch automatically adjusts itself to things, like if you play a game, it will automaticallly begin to forward certain ports to you, then a software firewall wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you have an older router, or a router that doesn't do this, then there is really no need for a firewall.

There are three general types of firwalls:
"Packet Filters" and "Personal Firewalls" and "NAT-based".

Your Router has NAT-Based firewall, which means, that if you havn't told it to forward a port (or DMZ), and none of the computers have requested anything for that port, then it doesn't know where to send the incomming packet, so it is dropped (bounces off the firewall).

A Packet filter firewall (very few of them that are software), will simply stop certain packets on certain ports.

A personal firewall will watch what programs you are running, and open and close "holes" in the firewall so that the programs can run fine. The biggest advantage is that it catches things like trojans from accessing the internet.

My suggestion is to only use a personal firewall if you are afraid of catching a trojan, or are afraid of other computers on the network. any other protection will come from the router, only allowing certain ports through.

well a pretty up todate router...its the Linksys BEFW11S4 ver.2 running the latest Firmware...the only game I've played that really just got onto the net was MOHAA...so do you still think I need to run software firewall? I'm not worry about other computers on my network...and I'm up-to-date on my virsus software defs.

I've got the D-Link 704P router firewall on the outside keeping unrequested packets out and not allowing outside probes any response.

I have ZAPro on the inside keeping all my apps from phoning home without my permission. If anything slips past the router, ZAPro will be the backup. No problems so far.

Last edited:
Audioaficionado said:
I've got the D-Link 704P router firewall on the outside keeping unrequested packets out and not allowing putside probes any response.

I have ZAPro on the inside keeping all my apps from phoning home without my permission. If anything slips past the router, ZAPro will be the backup. No problems so far.

Thats my thoughts on it. D-Link router and Sygate (best firewall i have used) to watch for spyware.

Back