• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X With Serial ATA RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_KiD

1. Does this board have a onboard raid controller i have read someplaces that it does and others that don't list it?

2. If raid controller exists is it available to use in serial ata ie. serial ata raid?

Thanks.. Looking to get this board soon and wondering what would perform better serial ata raid 0 or ata 100 WD 120 GB Special Edition in raid 0?.. From what I have read that WD 120 GB special edition is the best performing HD out right now.. But i would thing that serial ata would be better..

thanks in advance..

first yes this board has serial raid. Now for the truth, since their are no SATA drives yet available you are limited to using PATA to SATA adaptors which are expensive. Also any PATA drive with an adaptor will only run at its rated speed ie ata 100. Also the SATA adaptor on this board is still hooked into the PCI bus so you will not get the ata 150 of SATA instead you are limited to ata 133.

does it support normal ata raid? or just serial ata raid?

Now for the truth, since their are no SATA drives yet available you are limited to using PATA to SATA adaptors which are expensive.

Now for the REAL truth. :p There ARE serial HDDs available right now. Try this. There aren't any reviews on this drive yet, but I am willing to bet that it is a total bad ***.

I dought even that drive will beat any of the current ATA 100/133 drives since it has the same specs just a different interfance. And since this is the only listing on pricewatch you can bet you are going to wasit awhile, even the site says it has a 1-2 week wait.

just got off the phone and with asus and was told that the board only supports sata raid.. no regular ata raid. what kind of bs is that> + they don't include adapters to go from sata to just ata.. weird..

Big_KiD said:
just got off the phone and with asus and was told that the board only supports sata raid.. no regular ata raid. what kind of bs is that> + they don't include adapters to go from sata to just ata.. weird..
That's correct - I haven't seen anyone claim that it has IDE raid. I wouldn't buy the sata adapaters unless you just absolutely can't wait on sata drives. Those adapters take up room and they require a floppy style power connection from your psu.

Back