• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What will perform better a Pentium 4 2.66 or AMD 2600+ 333

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiquidOz

Registered
The Pentium would be setup with the the following.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.66 GHz Northwood 512K - 303
Corsair CMX512-3200C2 512MB PC3200 400Mhz - 171.50
ASUS P4PE/L Motherboard for Intel P4 478 Retail - 130

Total - 604.50

The AMD setup would be as follows.

AMD 2600+ 333 Retail - 305
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - 145.99
2 X Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 256MB PC3200 400Mhz 32Mx64 184 DIMM Cas2 Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail - 180

Total - 630.99

Is the 2600 suppose to be the AMD model aimed at matching up with the Pentium 2.66? If so then how would these two setups perform on benchmarks and in the real world. Also how will both match up with each other if both were overclocked on air?

It would seem it might actually be cheaper to go with an Intel rather than the AMD in this case?

Thanks in advance.

The main difference you'll see is in the utilization of the chipset of each board. The new Nforce2 boards have WAY more bandwidth than that P4 board you listed so that maybe be the deciding factor.

The architectures of those two chipsets are so different that it's almost as though they were made for completely different markets. (which doesn't suprise me in the least seeing as Intel has gobbled up the OEM market)

That is actually a big question with lots of answers.

If everything were identical, the AMd would have more bang per clock cycle. But everything is not identical.

1. Both memory configurations have potential bottlenecks so it is hard to compare.

2. The mobos have different advantages.

3. You have said nothing regarding about your cooling apart from the fact that you will be using air.

At this point, you are comparing apples to oranges.

as far as overclocking, you can check how far people have gone with their 2600+'s on the CPU database on the frontpage...

both systems would be very fast, although the AMD would fold faster, theres reason in itself right there ;)

i'm not familiar with that P4 board, if it uses DDR, the nforce2 should outperform it however, and as slug said would provide more bandwidth.

[edit]

btw malphine, i can do better than 549bytes for my avatar - mine's ZERO :D

[/edit]

[edit]

[/edit] [/B][/QUOTE]

Zero does not count. You need to have at least 1 byte.

Malpine Walis said:
[edit]

[/edit]

Zero does not count. You need to have at least 1 byte. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol.. is that even possible my friend?

i would say the athlon would outrun the intel P4 any day of the week if both boards used ddr. however if the p4 used rambus (expensive) it would have the advantage.

Back