• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Planning a rig, probably will change in q1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vgta88

Just some random stuff, wanted to try a quad intel if the prices were similar to amd. (pure amd sounds sexy in it's own way and would help since the company is trying hard with nvidia and intel. thanks for the current nice gpus amd.)

i'm looking to make a build ( since win7 prices are good nvm) but the current overall hw prices with socket switching and ddr3 and large-ddr2 dimm prices look bad. ( I also have no idea what amd is going to do now that they have c3 stepping and 45 nm for Phenom II, only coming under i7 performance )..............( I smell a socket change or something major or they can't compete)

I saw this though out of the messy hardware prices (i7 i5 high end, ddr3)
q9400 (s775)2.66ghz stock 333x8multi 95w tdp 6 mb L2 cache 45 nm
it ocs to 3.2ghz just by 400x8 (ddr2-800 speeds?) and scales a bit higher at 3.8ghz equaling a i7 940 (2.93 ghz),
price 179.99+, this while the black edition 965(3.4ghz) is $195 with 125 tdp and not as decent performance(oced).

maybe a PII 955 or
(AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb)am3 95w 945 (3.0ghz)@$165 would compare

boards are kind of cheap on both sides except high end 790fx and i5,i7. so it seems this would be the only intel offering decent performance and price ratio unless there are stuff I don't know about.

the ram: would probably want something faster than ddr2-800 at 4gb 2x2 until they offer something way better. check reviews for some g.skill

single card probably going with ati. and a decent 400-500w psu.
(when the underdog is winning and doing something good I just want to cheer them on)

system will be for multitasking, can't skip on a good quad core, and some games whatever I can play. Want to try starcraft2.

I added up the price of this system and as right now it's roughly 500
intel 775 q9400--------------179.99~
asus p5ql------------------------85~ ( not good ocer 400-415 fsb stability issue, some do 500 but bs, p45 or x38 p35)
g.kill ddr2 800 4gb 2x2-------------86~( would prefer more but 4 gb dimms are expensive and haven't seen 8 gb use)
ddr3 speeds would almost not matter and latency negligible.
cooler master or corsair 400-500w--60~
gfx min HD4670--------------------70~ (because it uses 60w~ load and decent performance just to get the system setup)
total 480
factor in shipping and crap.

hdd and optical drives are bs win7 is cheap.
fans will be extra. maybe aftermarket cooler.

==========Setup Additional Notes=========
the gpu is optional for more performance, not getting a entry level psu if i need major graphics and lastly probably the motherboard needs a better choice. (don't know what chipset just wanted oc option)

I am just looking for a rig that will pack a punch for it's price in cpu performance and decent power consumption for the price. the savings will go to a decent single graphics card. Lets just see how such system will age(only time will tell). Upgrades by trading optional, maybe I'll sell the stuff for 200 and get better stuff If i need to.
==========Setup Additional Notes=========

I'm also going to put my old sig setup here so i can delete my sig

=====Old Sig Setup======
A7N8X-VM/400----------------don't want to reinstall WXP
Athlon XP 2000+(1.67ghz) want to replace with barton-XP-M 2800+/3000+ $40
512 DDR 333 Ram------------want to 2x1 OCZ/Corsair gb ddr400 $100
250GB western digital-------good for now
Insert Desired AGP VCard--want to get GECUBE/ HIS Radeon X1650 pro AGP $100
250watt generic (13a 12v)-want to get new power supply 700watt (40A 12v) $100
Looking for compatibility advice and system performance?
Looking to do all this with $450 give or take mostly everything optional except CPU, GPU, PSU, (DAM U's)
if everything works out I plan on geting a $10 thermaltake TR2 M3, AS5, lapping and run stock speeds, I hate heat. Choices are based on cost, availability, performance, compatibility, and heat. After Some
thinking, might not be worth it.
=====Old Sig Setup======

Last edited:
Back