• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H2O Additives ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
Hi guys, for H2O Additives, other than Purple Ice and WaterWetter, what other choices do I have? Can I just add any brand of coolant, or anti-freeze?

Im running one of my watercooling loops with 60% water+WW and a %40 of whipper fluid (methynol).

There's really not a big advantage when running with methynol except, it knocks down the water temp by 2-3 degress. I haven't had a change to get my hands on a pelt to test its advantages at sub-ambient temps.

But for a regualr watercooling system I have to recommend keeping it simple. Distilled water and some waterwetter is the best.:cool:

I prefer Dex-Cool anti-freeze over water wetter. They're both about the same as far as temps go, but the Dex-Cool seems to have better corrosion protection.

I use antifreeze, because im using a chiller.
If you are just doing ambient- I would suggest using only distilled water with maybe a little disinfectant to get rid of the bugs. Most things you add will only hurt cooling.

I just need something to prevent corrosion, sort of. I'm using distilled water, but locally its hard to find purple ice, not to mention WW:(

for ambient temps I only use a few tablespoons of anti-freeze per gallon of water. It affected the temps less than 1C on my 8k3a+, which reads ondie temps. And I have found that this small amount of Dex-Cool will slow down corrosion considerably. I ran a copper/bare aluminum block for 2 months with this setup, and saw VERY little corrosion. Running the same type block with water wetter ended in MUCH more corrosion after only 3 weeks.

As long as your ambient temp don't get below freezing point, I think you don't need anti-freezer.

Try your local auto parts store, they always carry different kind of radiator protectors. I use Super Protector found in my local auto shop. It works great for me and its blue. So I don't need to dye my distill water at all

Ok, I will go get some radiator protectors today...wonder if they comes in Red, heehee.
Thanks guys!

Back