• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple dual g4 vs. dual amd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

Well i was talking to the mac rep today at work and we got into discussing the dual amd platform and dual g4 platform. the conversation went on for 5 min or so and then he pushed the right button by saying the dual g4 tower would smoke my dual amd system. so we talked to the manager and he's gonna let us set up my system and bench it against the mac!! so my question is is there a benchmarking program that can run on a mac and pc? or any real way to pit the performance of one system against the other?

the next part is your opinion. does anyone out there think my system in sig and beat the dual 1.25ghz with 512 ram? thanx all.

Adobe premiere - show them who has the REAL video editing machine

get the trial version

to elaborate on the seti deal, i would make two new accounts on the seti server, then set each system up to use one.

you should know how to use two clients on a dual system. then start them both at the same time. let them run for 24 hours. then see who got the most units done, and in what time frame.

this isnt the most accurate of ways but you should be able to give a really good idea. as far as raw cpu power at least

I want to see the results of this one :D

AMDAMDAMD!!! *looks around and hides from the Mac users*

im neither an amd or mac fan but im gonna ahve to go with amd but i wanna see how it goes anyways :D

Good Lord . . . I can see where this is going to go already. How 'bout I speed things up a bit.

1st day: Macs suck! PC's rule!
2nd day: Mac enthusiasts get wind of thread, defend their chosen platform
3rd day: Talk of games and stuff running on one platform and not the other
4th day: Talk of games that run on both platforms
5th and 6th day: Talk of Photoshop and video editing
7th day: Either people agree to disagree, or muscle comes in and locks thread (and on the 7th day, He rested).

Done.

i don't mean for this to be a flame war or arguments on either side. i simply want to see how they stack up against one another. I do like the macs don't get me wrong, this is just a friendly competion :)

im pullin for the G4, even though it prolly will loose, and only cause im a mac enthusiast at heart... though my most current apple is a 604e@200mhz

OS X is still one of my favorite operating systems. Mac has definately got style.

People should just stop hating and celebrate diversity. :)

SETI = bad idea. mac fans will just say it runs better on pc because it was written for pc. it doesnt matter what the facts are on it. you cannot beat macs on your ground you have to beat them at their game.

macs are touted as photo and video editing machines. if you get better marks in those areas they wont care if the program was diff for pc. because thats irrelevant.

don't pull a bunch of stuff out of the bag that mac uses dont use and don't claim to be better at.

one sure way to show superiorty. do some multitasking benchmarks. like import video and encode another at the same time. the mac benchmarks will fall drastically.

I think for most computer afficianados, it's a foregone conclusion that when it comes to raw computing power, Apples cannot compete with PCs. However, this does not make Macs obsolete. There are other important reasons to use Macs besides pure processing horsepower. A few reasons that come to mind are OSX, Apple's great hardware (including their inimitable LCDs), Apple's heavy penetration into the professional visual arts markets, and some proprietary software.

One of PCs main strengths is its cheap, processing power. I don't think this will be much of a contest. Your AMD will probably crush the G4.

most visual arts studios i have been to lately use pc's. Macs are becoming less and less common in the professional world. it looks like Gates is getting his wish. i only hope apple has the brains to make the os work on AMD's 64bit chip.

zabomb4163 said:
most visual arts studios i have been to lately use pc's. Macs are becoming less and less common in the professional world. it looks like Gates is getting his wish. i only hope apple has the brains to make the os work on AMD's 64bit chip.

Why is Gates getting his wish? most studios I am aware of are using *nix rendering and applications was'nt Shrek for example done on linux farms ?

The Apple OS is actually based on open source products and is currently available for the x86 processors which should mean that it works on the AMD 64bit platform as well.. The OS itself is actually a *nix called Darwin, it is only the OSX GUI which is not open source and is only available for the MAC

i know it's getting real hard to find a bencher for both platforms. and as much as i would like to oc a bit to give me as much of an edge as possible i want to keep it a fair competition so no oc for me this time at least not until the results are in :)

Back