• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't oc my amd 1600+!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vedge_boy

Registered
Here's the deal,
I decided to oc my computer.
I try to put my fsb @ 142, no boot. had to clear my bios.
try #2
fsb @140 no windows boot.
try #3
fsb@ 138 bets BSOD when windows boot.
try#4
fsb @ 134 BOOT!!!

I managed to oc of 10 mhz!!!

I found it rediculous and put it back to stock.

I don't understand. I have read this forum when I bought my compu and I found that amd are good overclockers. Even if it isn't the best stepping, it should overclock somehow and more than 10 mhz!!!
I run winxp pro
mobo msi kt7266 pro2-ru, cpu 1600+ ARKGA, volacno7+ cooler, 256 ram (don't know name but major not generic) enermax 465watts PSU, msi geforce2 ti.

I had that stepping and it got to 1.55 No problem.

There is somthing wrong.

What Kind of DDR do you have? 2100 Samsung, XMS 2700 etc.

This may be a dumb question, but did you turn off the "Speed Error Hold" option in the BIOS (assuming that your BIOS has this option). This option will prevent your computer from booting if you change the FSB.

Even with a bad stepping thats not much of an overclock. What temps are you getting? I would probably suspect that your memory could be to blame. If you are running more aggressive memory timings try and back off on them and see if it helps. If your temps are not too bad bump up to 1.85 vcore.

I think my memory is samsung. It is what's written on the chips of the memory. It is 266 mhz ram bay the way. My temps are 42C idle and 47 full load,gaming. I don't know what Speed Error Hold is or that I am aware of such option. I'll check when I'll reboot. I don't know how to change aggressive memory timings or what it is is so I don't think it is the case. As of the voltage, I think that I need to overclock a lot before I need to boost voltage but I'll try.

I gave it a second shot.
fsb@140 1.77v=BSOD
fsb@138 1.8v GOOD
fsb@145 1.8v=no boot weird ascci codes and needed to reset bios.
fsb@140 1.8v=BSOD DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL
fsb@140 1.825v=got welcome screen then BSOD
fsb@140 1.85v=got until background showed but not fully loaded then BSOD
fsb@138 1.77v got until background showed but not fully loaded then BSOD PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

when at fsb@138 1.8v. my temps were at 45C after the full boot then it is idleing at 43C.
Speed is 1452mhz. oc of 52 mhz is very low.

Went to stress the cpu. after 5 minutes of need for speed high pursuit 2, the game freezes and terminates. I reload the game, BSOD.

I am backing off the overclock and put it back to the original settings.

I bought an AMD because it kicked the first p4s and it was the fastest at the time of purchase which was a year ago. They were also good overclockers. I am deceived.

If someone has an idea, tell me.

Last edited:
first of all i would not blame the cpu

when you overclock the cpu speed by altering the fsb you are overclocking the whole system including ram, PCI Bus etc.

it is another aspect of your system that is holding you back upping the voltage will not help.im not familar with your board so i cant relly sugggest exactly what is wrong.

if you are trying to achive a higer cpu speed then you should consíder unlocking your cpu by connecting the L1 cpu bridges
then changing the multiplyer (considering your board supports this)

this methord will only overclock the cpu so you will be able to acheive mutch greater speeds. as you are not stressng other parts of your system eg. ram

hope this helps

could just be the ram then .. if you have 266 Mhz ram the ram could crap out pretty early on..

already it at 140 FSB you would be running the memory at 280 Mhz which is 14 Mhz above original..

yeh it is probably the ram that holding it back

the problem is that that bord will not take a faster type

could try some ram-sinks to keep it cool mite go a bit higher then

Back