• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goku

Registered
ok its been a while since i posted but im back with a new system. and im confused about something i have a volcano 9 made by thermaltake and it cools fine, but i just got a msi kt4 ultra-sr needed the raid any way my temp is 38 C on this board but on the last board i had which was a msi kt4v the the temp was about 48 C is there a problem with bios misreporting on one of the board which temp is right to can it be the ultra just runs it cooler?

that is good advice. however, i would believe that temperature i think because in socket thermistors are infamously inaccurate. it wouldnt totally surprise me if your actual temp is like 43C and your last board reported the temp 5C too high and the new one reports the temp 5C too low. the insocket temp readings just arent reliable, so if the temp is in the ballpark with reasonable (as yours is), then i would believe everything is ok. if your concerned about overclocking any further without knowing your exact temps, i would say just go by how your system responds. it will give you errors and other signs before you fry your processor, so long as you increase settings gradually. it's a pretty good idea to never really put much faith in temps when you oc, just go slowly up and monitor how your system responds.

well its very hard to get an accurate temp reading these days. i would go get a compu nurse and put it by your processor.

by the way... does anyone know what temp AMD is referring to as the "max" cpu temp that it can handle??? is it like inside the chip (on die) or right by the heatsink or what. never really knew that

yes, the maximum temperature AMD refers to would be temperature tolerance of the chip on-die.

a lot of people use compunurse, and ive heard that suggested a lot so it can't be too bad of an idea. but i would still advise you to ask yourself - how important is it to know that temperature exactly? and keep in mind that even with the compunurse you wont be getting on-die readings, at best you'll be getting right next to die readings, so there still will be moderate accuracy at best.

Yer old mobo was runnin at 48C with the V9 and yer new mobo with the same HS/F and cpu runs at 38C. Yer old mobos temp reader was definatly off. That 2700+ with a V9 should be runnin around 38C so thats kewl.

Back