• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Celeron Coppermine 1.0ghz-- is it locked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjc_75

Hi folks! another n00b question.. I read all through here and didnt come up with an answer.

Is my Celeron Coppermine 1.0 Ghz locked? I tried changing the multiplier switches on the motherboard ( Gigatech GVMM-6) and not a thing happened, Ive tried some programs to change the FSB..nada

Some info I have: system bus:100.23
system clock:100.23
multiplier : 10
stepping ID: 10 ( not sure what this is?)
model:8
family :6

Thanks Again!
Chris

All intel cpus are multiplier locked. Except ones made before sept 28 1998 or some date like that ;)
You should be able to adjust your FSB through your bios.

BigRed said:
All intel cpus are multiplier locked. Except ones made before sept 28 1998 or some date like that ;)

august 1998. :D

not sure of the exact date.

but that date is when all cpu's where locked. before then, some were and some weren't.

intel started to lock their cpus when the first 266mhz p2 came out. all cpus bufore that were not locked.

there were many cpu's before the PII 266 that were either locked or partially locked.

i am in possesion of a partially locked 166mmx. :D

i'm repeating myself here, but before august 1998, some were locked, some weren't. after august 1998 all chips were locked, with the exception of engineering samples.

Last edited:
I remember this.

There were some CPU's where you could lower but not raise the multiplier, although I believe that MIGHT have had something to do with the faster CPU's not being taped out yet. That might have been called " multiplier-limited"

My S---X (???) 166 MMX was a retail multiplier unlocked CPU, that had multipliers from 1.5-3.5, and ran at default voltage at 66*3.5 (233), but required 3.2v (needed 3.3v when i switched to a 64 MB dimm) for 75*3.5 (262) ! Trying 262.5 mhz for the first time, at default voltage, completely scrambled the FAT on the C: drive, and I lost some rather important files and savegames :( (i've NEVER seen that happen before on any newer CPU that was overclocked too far)

it had a pack date of June. I was very lucky, because I heard that all retail chips with a pack date of July+ were locked.

f00t said:
intel started to lock their cpus when the first 266mhz p2 came out. all cpus bufore that were not locked.

Not true I still have a P2 333MHz chip that came unlocked.. The first chips to get locked were the 350MHz Pentium 2 based on the new core..

Back