• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh PC+Win10 install worked great...for ~3 days. It BSOD's now.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCE3000GT

I'm going to give my specs and some background first before I get in to the problem so you all will be informed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) (NOT OC'd)
MOBO: MSI B360 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 (300 Series)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 6GB
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650w
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO
OS HDD: SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC SSD
2nd HDD: Seagate Barracuda HDD ST3000DM001 3TB (drive with Steam, games, music, video and etc)
3rd HDD: Seagate Barracuda HDD ST4000DM004 4TB (backup drive only)
Monitor: Samsung 46" LED HDTV

I created a Windows 10 install straight from a Microsoft Windows 10 installation tool and was able to format the SSD and install Windows 10 without any issues. The system in fact worked perfectly and was pretty fast and quiet so I was happy. I only installed the below programs and usually I will only install programs as I need them.

CPU-Z
GPU-Z
Office 2016
AVG Antivirus
Steam+my gaming library (on HDD #2)
Google Chrome & Comodo Dragon browsers

That's it. Like I said, it ran perfect for about 3 days on all brand new hardware minus the hard drives and graphics card. I sold a bunch of vintage video games to build this computer which was not cheap in anticipation for Borderlands 3, Starfield and eventually Elder Scrolls 6 (with a new GPU in the future). So normally what I do is once I determine the CPU won't overheat after running it under a high load I set my power settings to never turn off or sleep/hibernate the computer so it is always on--which I always do. In fact it has been sitting in BIOS for a couple hours now never going above 34ºC (room is hot) so I don't believe it overheated. So Wednesday night when I came up stairs after work to use it the power was off. And after turning it on I was greeted with this BSOD message attached. I also included my boot priorities attached as well, which I switched making the USB first which I'll explain below. Originally the UEFI Windows SSD was first.

I spent the next 6 hours researching online what could be the problem and trying out the recommended fixes. I took out my SSD and downloaded a program to check the health and it was 100% in good health so that wasn't the problem. I tried moving around the boot order, I went and verified all of the BIOS settings people were saying and I even unplugged every peripheral and nothing will get me passed this BSOD. When I try to go to "Start up settings" the computer shuts off, waits like 3 seconds and comes back on straight to this same BSOD. I tried to get the Windows 10 install USB to boot up and that didn't work, with even re-running the Install tool to create another USB to try. I unplugged every other hard drive connected and just left the OS SSD connected and same result. I have secure boot off and fast boot off as well.

At this point I have no earthly idea what to do and all I want to do is either fix the problem or start over and reinstall Windows 10. I've literally never had this kind of trouble before that I couldn't solve in the ~30 years I've been using and tinkering/building computers. My previous Windows 7 machine that I'm using right now to post this runs flawlessly, I only am using Windows 10 on this new machine because stupid Microsoft/Intel pretty much forces every mobo manufacturer to stop letting Windows 7 be installed, or doesn' t have USB 2.0 legacy support or there are no Windows 7 motherboard drivers. So I'm stuck with a damn brick now I cannot use with this computer. :( I'm frustrated beyond belief, I'm honestly at my end where I take the restocking fee hit and return all of this stuff and never upgrade or buy new computer components again if someone cannot help me fix this problem. Oh, and my wife isn't happy either so I've got to deal with that too. Yea, I'm having a bad day. :-/ Thank you in advance for any help, I truly mean it.

Attachments

• IMG_8131.JPG
    IMG_8131.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8135.JPG
    IMG_8135.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Your motherboard only supports RAM frequencies up to 2666 mhz. Frequent blue screens have corrupted OS system files.

Attachments

• RAM too fast.png
    RAM too fast.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Your motherboard only supports RAM frequencies up to 2666 mhz.

I know, that's what it was set at (*see signature). :) Did not have a RAM issue. Like I mentioned, the system worked perfectly for a few days.

Frequent blue screens have corrupted OS system files.

Not always it seems. Got this BSOD with all hard drives completely clean of all partitions (including hidden recovery and efi) and reformatted. Also got BSODs with both the USB created with the Microsoft Windows 10 installer tool and a created Windows 10 install ISO with the same tool on a DVD-R disc with ZERO hard drives connected on both attempts. I suspect the motherboard is bad (SATA controller), and after having two enterprise techs in the IT field look at it with me and agreeing I'm returning it to newegg and getting a replacement. If at that point the problem persists then I'll look in to testing the CPU and RAM in another machine to verify they are good and go from there.

So mods feel free to close this topic as it is irrelevant now. :)

Back