• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The ##x value of CD-ROM/R/RWs...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RetroUO

What exactly does the ##x speed value mean/represent?
Like a 48x Read CD-RW reads at what speed and how can that be tested.
Same question for like a 48x write and a 12x Re-Write...

And if I have a CD-ROM and I want to know the ##x value it reads at, how do I find it?

Thank you.

Or some cd-roms say it right on it. I'm sorry I dont mean to insult your intelligence if this is true. :D

If you want to 'see it', use Nero's CDSPEED (do a search for it) and you will be able to verify and test write, read speed, mode, and much other things.

Regards
FTC

The link Penguin posted explained what the x means and FTC's answer solved the rest. I need to do some checking into what exactly all the readouts in this program mean but that should be easy enough, thx.

The problem was this: I have 5 or 6 CD-ROMs in my room I want to know the speeds for, I work on friend's comps some and need to decide if I can upgrade their CD-ROM or not (so I need to know the speed of theirs and my 5 or 6) and most of the older ones do NOT have it written on them nor is it listed in the device manager...

Thx though, my question has been answered.

Thanks again.

Back