• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone familiar with the concept of AMD's 'Creator Edition' Ryzen cpu's for mobiles?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuantumCookie

Registered
So the type of cpu in question would be a mobile Ryzen cpu from AMD, and at first I didn't notice anything unusua when I oogled at this laptop I thought I might want to buy.
The webpage stated that the cpu was..

Ryzen 7 6800HS-CE (8 core, 3,2 GHz base & max 4,7 GHz boost)

I had no idea what the CE stood for, but eventualy I found out that this might mean "creator edition", and that this implies a raised base speed of about 300-400 MHz (at least for this other older old Ryzen cpu in an article).
I think I've learned that the boost speed isnt' guaranteed if the cpu temp is too high.

Q: What I am wondering about, is would perhaps this choice of the 'creator edition' cpu lead to a higher base temperature, because say a better binned cpu simply gets hotter (yet remains stable)?
If so, perhaps, I can expect the fan speed to ramp up more often, as opposed to say having bought the plain Ryzen 7 6800HS cpu variant without the 'creator edition' variant.

I guess I will find out, but I am mighty curious if anyone here knows something about this type of cpu, or perhaps, better binned cpu's in general. I did some overclocking some years ago, but that was a few years back now, and I probably forgot half of it.

Which laptop are you looking at specifically?

I couldn't find reference to the CE indicating a different CPU, but I do see the HS models being regarded as "creator edition" in some marketing. HS being the 35W TDP and AMD also offering a 45W and a lower TDP SKU. Keeping in mind that TDP doesn't actually mean power draw even though it's listed in "watts." Edit: I wanted to clarify, lower TDP will have lower power draw and higher TPD will have higher power draw, but actual real world power usage is not reflected in the number listed and it doesn't necessarily scale linearly with the TDP rating."

It's always going to be a trade off of performance vs size and noise. A 35-45W TDP part is going to be pretty hefty for a laptop (considering many desktop CPUs use a 65w TDP). If you want cool and quiet check for a lower TDP SKU. If you want the best performance in a "desktop replacement" fashion then a higher TDP is important. As always, the design and cooling of the laptop itself is just as important as the power draw of the CPU, if not more so.

What do you want to do with this laptop? For example, I use a 10th Gen laptop for work, its a quad core with a 10-25W TDP, it's small and light even if I rarely carry it, having the option to go portable is important since COVID. I really haven't had any hesitation or issue with productivity tasks. Office products, webpages, etc all load quickly, programs install quickly, in other words I can accomplish what I need to without any apparent computing bottlenecks or issues. Another bonus is great battery life and I never have to listen to fans spin up while I'm working. It can still boost to 4.2GHz but base clock can be under 1GHz.

If you want a laptop to do laptop things, I would suggest a lower power chip. If you want something to game on or do content creation, then get one of the higher power ones.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your original question. Yes a higher base clock will likely draw more power and create more heat. But whether or not the CPU can boost properly without throttling is going to be more dependent on the design of the laptop's cooling solution than the model of CPU chosen. I suppose if they were two options in the same chassis / cooler, then it's possible but in that case I would regard the cooling as inadequate for the listed options (this happens all the time in laptops), but I would be more inclined to find a vendor that can cool the CPU I want than to get a lower spec to prevent throttling).

This one: https://www.komplett.no/product/121...ovo-ideapad-5-pro-14-qhd-400-nits#productinfo (norwegian, but stats shown down that webpage below the photos.)

So this particlular cpu in question is the 6800HS, but apparently there is also a 6900hs variant AMD is making.
Reason for posting the comparion, is the idea of the creator edition possibly being a binned 6900HS, but ofc I am just guessing at this point. What other reason would they have to adding a 'creator edition' cpu if not a binned one (maybe a down graded "better" cpu)?
Here the 6900 runs 100 MHz fater, same capabilities apprently, and also 100MHz higher gpu speed for the integrated graphics.
Or, because of how the two cpu's here are apparently the same, maybe binning doesn't make any sense in terms of down grade, but then it doesn't make any sense I think if the 'creator edition' is just this 6900HS cpu, because then they could just sell it as a 6900HS cpu. :|

For my desktop I incidentally use the 1800x (also 8 core, but 90W TDP, and even more than 90 with boost whey AMD failed to tell me, but probably down clocked because of it being passively cooled. :) I forgot what I did in the bios. The passive cpu cooler was rated as 90W TDP, and thus ultimately inadequate, but hey I play Squad with this thing today. :) No issues.

I don't need a desktop replacement so I just want something that I can bring with me around the apartment, reading, writing and probably browsing youtube. Maybe some 2d image editing and simple stuff, but not that important to me. A 14" screen seems right about what I can be ok with. Don't really want a large screen, but it can't be too small either ofc. I currently have a desktop 16:9 screen and this laptop has a 16:10 screen so an improvement (meaning the laptop has a slightly taller screen). I was looking for a 4:3 screen but couldn't find anyone suitable, 16:10 was the closest one I found at the time.

I had to set a max budget for this and I can't buy the best available laptop, and I don't want to buy the cheapest "best" laptop line either if other features are downgraded.

I guess my only concern is fan noise. I will not be using the laptop for playing any demanding games, I have a desktop PC for that.

Nevermind the Win 11 OS option, I can deal with that.

Some reviews of similar laptops seem to point out that the fan noise can be loud during high loads, but none complained about fan noise at idle, which is promising.

I think the absolute worst situation, would be having a laptop (like one I had years ago), that was a gaming laptop, but the fan management was inadequate, fans spinning up on idle periodically. No doubt that modern laptops have fan management issues under control. I can fiddle with firmware but I'd rather not, being wholly dependent on others having done the pioneering work already finding a solution. :)

Last edited:
To be honest, from what you describe above, this is more CPU power than you need. The CE moniker is added more for the laptop package than the actual CPU. Creator Edition laptops are intended for work where your uses seem casual. You could probably save some money and get something a bit smaller CPU wise which would run cooler

Yeah look for a TDP in the 10-25W range. As I mentioned earlier TDP does not equal power draw, it's very confusing but since you mentioned it with your desktop I thought I'd reiterate it. But a lower TDP chip will be lower power draw as well. The only way to know for sure is hand's on experience, but I would expect the higher end CPUs you're looking at will get hot, have loud fans, etc. The low power CPUs will be fine for what you describe and much more comfortable in daily use (longer battery life, not burning your anatomical bits, quiet).

For your desktop (this is off topic so feel free to start another thread if you want more detailed advice), you could probably upgrade to a 3600 or 5600 with a BIOS update and see both improved performance and less thermal burden. Of course properly setting up passive cooling is a whole other topic in itself, but to put it succinctly, the hot air still needs somewhere to go, if a passive cooler just sits in the chassis without airflow, it will not function well. Regardless, I wouldn't consider an 1800x to be a good candidate for passive cooling. But if you want to get into more details with either of these topics please spin off a new thread with full system specs for the desktop in question.

Back