• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you help me to speed up the timings of my memory for gaming ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creativus

Registered
I'm using a core i5-4460 with 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 memory on Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 rev 2.1 motherboard. I intend to purchase a GTX 1050 Ti, R9 380X, GTX 1650 or RX 470 to use with this system depending on how faster I can make it with stability, currently I have a GTX 750 Ti.

I can change the base clock of the CPU from 3.2 GHz to 3.4 GHz in the bios settings.

The bios settings don't allow me to increase the frequency of the memory, but they do allow me to decrease the timings of the memory.

The current state of Standard Timing Control settings of my memory is:
CAS Latency = 11
tRCD = 11
tRP = 11
tRAS = 28

I also can change Advanced Timing Control , Channel A Misc Timing Control, and Channel B Misc Timing Control settings.

I can apply same timing settings to both memory channels or I can apply different timing settings to each memory channel.

The problem is, I don't know anything about how to do it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks !

Overclocking memory timings is a slow process and typically yields little gains for the effort. CAS Latency usually yields the most gains; lower it by one and test it. if things become unstable, add just a bit of DRAM voltage in the BIOS. The other timings you listed will offer some gain as well; use the same approach but don't expect too much.
I'm assuming by the age of the system things are expensive or hard to get where you live, but you would be further ahead getting a 4690K or similar unlocked CPU so you can overclock it. You'll get much more out of that system that way.

Overclocking memory timings is a slow process and typically yields little gains for the effort. CAS Latency usually yields the most gains; lower it by one and test it. if things become unstable, add just a bit of DRAM voltage in the BIOS. The other timings you listed will offer some gain as well; use the same approach but don't expect too much.
I'm assuming by the age of the system things are expensive or hard to get where you live, but you would be further ahead getting a 4690K or similar unlocked CPU so you can overclock it. You'll get much more out of that system that way.
I thought my motherboard wouldn't allow me to overclock a CPU...

I thought my motherboard wouldn't allow me to overclock a CPU...
Pretty sure it will allow multiplier adjustment with an unlocked CPU with the right BIOS. Plus the 4690K has a 3.9 GHz boost which is already 500 MHz faster

Last edited:
Back