• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory speed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicey1958

Hi, and its 1st post. Hope I can find help here and I hope I ask the right question.
Setup. MSI 590 gaming plus/ cpu i11600k/ Currently 16gb of crucial ballistix max 4400hz./ lastest bios/ win 10 but currently win 11.(fault occurs/exist with both )
Anyway the issue is if I try to run mem at 4400 at its timings 19.19.19.46.. the pc can crash either freeze in 30 seconds or 30 hrs. if i run it at 3600hz (16.16.16.36) its runs rock solid. But as it was bought as 4400hz and crucial says it should.. looking for answers?
the settings I've seen say try alter are the voltages SA/IO (are these the ones tha appear as cpu sa/io?) i can find my way around bios but don't really like changing that much to do with voltage. Also, when it boots at 4400 .. cpu z always reports it using 1.5v instead of 1.4v is that ok?
I also had a second kit of 4400 bought for me...(i know 2x16) would have been better, but there you go... that crash still occurs with new memory so that rules out mem prob..
Could anyone please give me a safe manual settings option to try in bios for this memory or is running a 3600 just the safer option and there's not gonna be much of a difference. If someone tells me that, ill be happy
cheers
Geoff

does that look about right for dropping the speed down to 3600 for a rock solid system. ... or having it all on auto there look bad?

still looking to get it to run at 4400 tho... :)

Last edited:
well i asked crucial for thier input. first they said it will only run at 2999 on my mobo. i told them it runs fine at 3600. thier reply....
'
'Thank you for contacting with Crucial.

I would like to inform you the memory can work the speed of 4400 MHz, but could be depend on the motherboard limitation as well. I guess the memory is working with the 3600 MHz with any issue. If there would be any issue please let us know?'

well that was useful.

@nicey1958 - Sorry we missed this... was hoping one of our local memory gurus (@Woomack, or @mllrkllr88 ) would swing by. :)

CPUz doesn't report actual/running voltage for RAM. Your sticks are likely rated for 1.4V with XMP (1.5V is OK too).

Taking a quick glance at your memory compatibility list for the mobo, I don't see that kit listed. I see ONE stick of Crucial DDR4 4400 (BLM8G44C19U4B.M8FE1), but not a pair. In fact, every single 4400 MHz entry on that page is a SINGLE stick (be it 8 or 16GB). Just because it isn't listed, doesn't mean it won't work, but it's not on the list (that I found). Also note, some kits are rated for 1.5V at these speeds... I don't believe yours is, however.

If you want these to work, you'll need to try to add .1-.2V of SA and see if that helps. Sadly, much above 4000 Mhz, and you're into tweaking not plug and play territory on this platform.

You can absolutely run that RAM at 3600 MHz. No issues in doing so. Tighten the timings down as low as they go and go on with your bad self! :)

That said, there isn't a big difference in performance at all between 3600 and 4400 (the later likely running at 1:2). I'm not a memory overclocker (benefits don't outweigh the time and effort for me these days) so I buy a middling speed so I can set XMP and go. :)

Last edited:
thanks for your answer. i;; stick with what i'm running at then. I s'posae microseconds difference wont make much difference in speed for the effort :)

I had no problems with Crucial 2x16GB kits at 4000 or 4400 but I was testing them on pretty much top OC motherboards.
On Z590I Unify all I had to do was to enable XMP and my 2x16GB kit was running at declared 4400 19-19-19 1.40V. Manually, I could push it to 5200+.

If you have problems then try manually at something like 4400-4600 18-21-21 1.45V, CR2 and Gear 2. VCCSA or auto or something like ~1.35V, SA2 (can be called RL SA or something else) 1.5V.

I had no problems with Crucial 2x16GB kits at 4000 or 4400 but I was testing them on pretty much top OC motherboards.
On Z590I Unify all I had to do was to enable XMP and my 2x16GB kit was running at declared 4400 19-19-19 1.40V. Manually, I could push it to 5200+.

If you have problems then try manually at something like 4400-4600 18-21-21 1.45V, CR2 and Gear 2. VCCSA or auto or something like ~1.35V, SA2 (can be called RL SA or something else) 1.5V.
cheers. just one question... i took a screenie of HWinfo showing vccsa at 1.6v+ why does it show it that hight?? its on auto.

Your motherboard is setting so high voltage. If you don't feel comfortable then set it manually. On Z590 should be 2 SA voltages. One is standard which can be at 1.2-1.3V and additional is related to the memory controller and marked as SA 2 or SA RL or something similar. This second SA is usually running at a higher voltage, especially at a high memory clock.
I would try SA at ~1.4V and SA2 at 1.55V for 4400+ clock and check how high it will go. When you set the desired clock then check how low you can set both SA.
The only question is, does the BIOS have 2nd SA option?

Your motherboard is setting so high voltage. If you don't feel comfortable then set it manually. On Z590 should be 2 SA voltages. One is standard which can be at 1.2-1.3V and additional is related to the memory controller and marked as SA 2 or SA RL or something similar. This second SA is usually running at a higher voltage, especially at a high memory clock.
I would try SA at ~1.4V and SA2 at 1.55V for 4400+ clock and check how high it will go. When you set the desired clock then check how low you can set both SA.
The only question is, does the BIOS have 2nd SA option?
thanks.. ill give it a try... y not.

Back