• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cooling woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheezboy

Ok this is sort of my first post but i have been reading the forum for about 4 weeks now and just wanted to tell you guys that you are great and are highly entertaining :)

Anyway about my post. I have been reading the forums and at first i decided to upgrade my air cooling with an SLK-800 and a Vantec tornado and Vantec Fan controller to control the sound. I was then going to get 3 more tornados for my case. The price came out around $130. I then tought well if i am going to spend that much I might as well get water cooling. I then decide on :
Aluminum Topped TC-4 Waterblock from dtek ( http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/18/150.htm?613 ) $47
Cooler Core COMBO (Unpainted) ( http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/19/44.htm?613 ) $48 (too lazy to make my own shroud :) )
an eheim 1250 pump ~$65.00
10' of tygon tubing ~$20
Some hose clamps and a T ~$5
Delta Mid CFM 120mm fan ~$13.50
A geforce 4 block ~$45
And some other things such as a res made from an electrical box and other things to make an external system. It soon comes out to be around $250-$300 dollars.

So then I said why not save my money and get a VapoChill ~$469. Someone plz help me :( I have no clue what to do.

Get high-end air and spend the rest on Über-awesome componants. (just wait- someone will disagree with me... :D)

I think i might just get the slk-800 and 1 tornado with fan controller then buy an nforce2 board :) I am still open to suggestions.

The SLK-800,tornado,and controller should be fine.For air flow in the case I recomend the Mechatronics Fan for case cooling.I used that setup as my previos cooling setup and got over 300mhz out of it.Though it also depends on the cpu and the rest of the system too but that setup should get you a decent over clock.

I would say go with a H2O setup, but that is because I run three PCs plus any friends' computers in one room. I might be a bit biased because of that....:p I am just now getting these things decently quiet, but at the expense of overclocking. H2O would solve the noise problem instantly and may allow better overclocking, but I don't have the money.

I just have 4 32.5CFM clear fans in my case that do fine! I could always get higher but it may not help my temps too much and I can't hear the fans (30dB).

Go watercooling. You won't be sorry. You should be able to get a good setup between $150-$200 easily.

Also, adding in the cost of a GF4 WB isn't making this a fair comparison.

Hey, give it a go, but be careful- and leave some money for componants :D

Last edited:
Back