• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Brand is Best??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elite

What HardDrive Brand is the best right now, my vote would prolly by Maxtor. What are your guys favorites?, and what are the best performing HD's out there?

Many seem to invest their money in the new Western Digital Special Edition drives, but I never cared for Western Digital nor their reliability. I would say that Seagate is the best, or will be in my opinion when the 7200.7 models surface. Of course it depends if you are talking about SCSI or ATA. SCSI = to expensive, so the next best thing is S-ATA on RAID-0.

Id say to go with the WD SE drives.. they have been really reliable, and i have one of my own... which works amazingly.. even when my system is only a 300A celeron..

if your lookin for HD's, then id recommend to go with the 8 meg cache ones... you would probably benefit from them.

maxtor and segate also have 8 meg cache drives now...

My maxtor has never let me down, its a nice one, and plus the company itself is good. Western Digital has ugly boxes.

If anyone thinks about making this a sticky, they should add a poll: Which hard drive manufacturer is best?

I would be interested in seeing who everyone picks.

n_ick2000 said:
I also love Western Digital. I just got a 80gb special edition which will be replacing my current IBM "deathstar"

I just did the same thing. Newegg said it would be shipped Thursday most likely. I got the 80 gig for 99 cents including overnight shipping as I was getting a refund on my Deathstar. It was the 2nd time I sent it in & had enough since I shouldn't have had to get a 3rd one in under 8 months.

I won't buy another IBM drive, after my fun with a 60gxp and so far i've waited 2 1/2 weeks for my replacement.

I recently built 2 systems for x-mas presents with maxtor 60gig HDD's.

We'll see how those turn out.

As for the most reliable drive....I've got a conner 450meg hdd that's been working great for 11 yrs. :D

Good luck;) In the last month I have had a WD se 80 gig go on me that was under a month old and an IBM 40gig that I have had for over a year:mad:. The WD I was still able to repair and get all the data off and RMAd it and got a new drive within a week and a half. The IBM went taking with it a new Debian linux install. I have it packed up ready to RMA tomorow. I am almost postive that I am going to be waiting twice as long for the IBM:mad:

For all those that do not backup there important DATA. Do it and do it now. it does not matter what brand you have it can go at any time. Go out and buy Ghost or Drive Image and make that backup image. Or at least burn your important files to CDR. Good Luck:D

Kendan said:
For all those that do not backup there important DATA. Do it and do it now. it does not matter what brand you have it can go at any time. Go out and buy Ghost or Drive Image and make that backup image. Or at least burn your important files to CDR. Good Luck:D

Yea, i backup a lot. Have to do it to cd-r/cd-rw as i have a laptop. (my main system right now:eek:)

My vote goes to drives companies in this order:

1.Maxtor
2.Seagate
3.WD

I only buy Western Digital's, and I haven't had a hard drive die on me in years. The oldest WD in use here is an old 1gig from back when that was a big thing. It's in the computer in my car.

EDIT:
BTW, on my list above. I'm not saying that WD are bad, i'm just saying that i wouldn't buy any other brand. So, actually, i'm complimenting them :D
(anti-flame measures.)

Back