• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Second HardDrive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elite

I have just installed a second hardrive with nothing on it. It shows up on my driver manager list and says it is working fine. I tried to add hardware wizard but it didnt pick it up. But my computer still says it is installed. I am going to use this as another drive that i can d/l stuff onto(like C: for example). I was wondering how i do this??Because right now it isn't showing up in My Computer yet??

This post belongs in Storage or GH.

To answer your question, you might not have partitions defined on the new drive yet. If you're using 98/ME you'll need to run FDISK or Partition Magic to create a partition on the new drive. If you're using 2k/XP, open the computer Management console from the Administrative Tools menu, select Disk Management, and define a new partition on the new drive. You'll most likely also need to format the drive.

NookieN said:
This post belongs in Storage or GH.

To answer your question, you might not have partitions defined on the new drive yet. If you're using 98/ME you'll need to run FDISK or Partition Magic to create a partition on the new drive. If you're using 2k/XP, open the computer Management console from the Administrative Tools menu, select Disk Management, and define a new partition on the new drive. You'll most likely also need to format the drive.

Ding ding, I think you nailed it. That is what I was thinking. And yes, this section is sort of a special section for in depth tech talk. Storage would get this question answered fast.

Back