• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to do raid setup????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennieboyq

Registered
ok well i have a 80 IBM with all my data on it and my new mobo has a raid controller on it and i have 110 to spend on a new hdd... not that i need the space but another 20 - 40 cant hurt space/performance ina raid setup..only thing is i dont know what to do... which raid do i want 0 +1 1 i donno all the choices but the mobo sopports them all...and what drive should i get...i was looking at the WD SE 40 but the seek times was like 10.9 and on the regular (2mg) it was like 8.9...so do i go with the 40 SE or the regular 20/40 with seek times at 8.9...thanks alot ben

ok i did a little reading and ill do raid 0 but how do i get the data that i have on my IBM into a "raid" configration like how do i split it up so it goes to both drives...or do i just have to leave it and reformat and install ???

Ok, Raid 0 sometimes reffered to as striping, is for speed, and large size, and raid 1 is known as mirroring, and is for redundancy (backup).

Ok here's the deal.. in a stripe set (raid0) the setup will only be as big as your smallest drive, and will only be as fast as your slowest drive...if you put an 80g and a 20g together in raid0, then you will only have a 40g stripeset... The other 60g on the 80drive will not be seen,(20g+20g) now on the other hand, if you put 2 80g's together then you would end up with 160g (closer to 157g or even as low as 148g after format).
Seek times will be only as fast as your slowest drive.
The way I did my raid is I got my raid array setup, formated the array just like a single drive, and took my old drive and ghosted it to the new array. If you are only going to get 1 drive, then you will have to backup your system and do a clean install,and restore your backup.....I recomend getting a matching drive for whatever you already have, unless it is getting too old/slow...and if you do choose to get two drives, tell the salesman that you want matching drives, and don't count on the salesperson to know what you are talking about, so look at the drive model numbers carefully, and ask their policy on returning drives if they don't match up.
Good luck and I hope this helps you clear the mud a little...cheers and Happy new Year

thanks alot and i think ill stick to my 1 drive im not a big video editor and i think the 7200 is plenty fast for me and i dont want to go though all that trouble just for that ill build one on my next rig...sounds good to me q

Back