• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

average athlon 2000+ overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

hey i have a athlon xp 2000+ and just bought a water cooling system and was wondering what the average overclock on a xp 2000+ would be, and was wondering if i would have to unlock it?

I have the optons in my bios to push up the front side bus....does that mean that is unlocked and ready to go?

matt2364 said:
I have the optons in my bios to push up the front side bus....does that mean that is unlocked and ready to go?

No, a chip doesn't have to be unlocked to increase the front side bus (FSB). You could increase your FSB now if you wanted to for an increase in speed.

However, to acheive a decent overclock, you would have to unlock your chip in order to lower your multiplier. This in turn would allow the FSB to reach higher speeds than you would do at the default multipler setting.

You 2000+ runs at 133 (FSB) X 12.5 (multiplier) = 1666MHz

I dont know the maximum your chip could do but 200 X 9 = 1800MHz should be a reasonable target as this would give you much faster performance than a 2200+ and close to 2400+

Last edited:
Sorry if I was confusing. Didn't mean you would have to unlock the CPU just to pump up the bus.

Like Kochanski explained, you'll have to unlock it to lower the multiplier to get a much higher FSB.

Back