• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Windows 9x Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fedorenko

Hi, I have a few questions about Windows 9x which i would like answered. Sorry if some have been anaswered before, but after a few minutes searching I came up blank.

Question 1: I know to get a custom boot up screen you need to change a graphic in the Windows folder. I have forgoten what it is called :D, so what is its name?

Question 2: Can Direct X run on Windows 95. (Sorry if this is a game type question, but since Im asking a few questions, I might as well throw it in).

Question 3: On boot up of his computer, I do not want explorer (the start menu) to load. Instead, I want a program that will give an option to run 5ish programs. So this question is split into 3 subcategories:

a) Is it possible to stop Explorer loading and if it is, how is it done?

b) How hard would it be for someone who doesnt know a line of code to create this program? I am doing IPT in school this year, in which we learn VB6, could I make the program in that? All the program needs to do is link to the executables of the games and look clean. I do not want the menu on the top, or the bar that contains the exit buttons. It would also need to have a blue base, not the standard blue.

c) I know (well, I think) it is possible to use Visual Basic to create a program that when a Button is pressed, the computer will shut down. How is this done? It will be incorporated into the program (discussed above).

Question 4: With the program needed to shut down select the program, with Direct X, Windows 95 if possible and the programs (they are prety small, under 20mb), what is the bare minimum size of the hardrive I need? The comptuer will only run the programs spoken above.

Fedorenko said:
Question 1: I know to get a custom boot up screen you need to change a graphic in the Windows folder. I have forgoten what it is called :D, so what is its name?

I cant remember but i think it has logo in the name, google search...

Question 2: Can Direct X run on Windows 95. (Sorry if this is a game type question, but since Im asking a few questions, I might as well throw it in).[/B]

Yes, although I think the latest versions may not support it.

Question 3: On boot up of his computer, I do not want explorer (the start menu) to load. Instead, I want a program that will give an option to run 5ish programs. So this question is split into 3 subcategories:

a) Is it possible to stop Explorer loading and if it is, how is it done?[/B]

In your system.ini file, look for shell=explorer.exe and change that to what ever the program name is you make

b) How hard would it be for someone who doesnt know a line of code to create this program? I am doing IPT in school this year, in which we learn VB6, could I make the program in that? All the program needs to do is link to the executables of the games and look clean. I do not want the menu on the top, or the bar that contains the exit buttons. It would also need to have a blue base, not the standard blue.[/B]

All i can say is, its gonna be fairly complex

c) I know (well, I think) it is possible to use Visual Basic to create a program that when a Button is pressed, the computer will shut down. How is this done? It will be incorporated into the program (discussed above).[/B]

You get it to execute part of the rundll file that controls windows, search on google and here for 'shortcut shutdown'

Question 4: With the program needed to shut down select the program, with Direct X, Windows 95 if possible and the programs (they are prety small, under 20mb), what is the bare minimum size of the hardrive I need? The comptuer will only run the programs spoken above.[/B]

Experiment... But youll probably only find a 520MB drive at best, so go for a 400MB partition in FAT16 (for '95)

Fedorenko said:
C:\logo.sys - boot screen
C:\Windows\logow.sys - shutdown screen
C:\Windows\logos.sys - "it's ok to shut off your comptuer" screen
rename it from .sys to .bmp and you can edit it. There were lots of programs out there that would help you in editing those files so that you could get the progressbar-like line

c) I know (well, I think) it is possible to use Visual Basic to create a program that when a Button is pressed, the computer will shut down. How is this done? It will be incorporated into the program (discussed above).
there is a program called "shutdown now"
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6083,00.asp
that will allow you to shutdown your computer by launching the program.

Re: Re: General Windows 9x Questions

DanFraser said:
Look in your system.ini file, look for shell=explorer.exe and change that to what ever the program name is you make

So I create an executable that will have links to those 5 programs.. doesnt seem to complex.

Ahh, 6 links to programs:

Code:
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows

will shut down your computer. Now, all I need to do is creat an application, that replaces explorer as the shell, that is in the middle of the screen, menuless and colour a dark blue that links to 6 programs, using VB6....

Last edited:
Oh, these Apps are really games. Kinda like a consol thing. Most of my strange questions about custum keyboards and the like around here are to do with it.

Back