• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Made my choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
I'm going to use Redhat 8.0 :) it looks really good so hopefuly i adapt to it as easy as i did to winbloz ;)

Congradulations. Haven't used Redhat since 6, but I hear there are a lot of improvements (especially in installation)

If your talking about md5sum (as in the MD5 message digest checker), then its like checksum.

ahh ok :) thanks for you help :) I've never even layed my hands on *nix but ppl said I should start with this one and its got a GUI so i gotta atleast try it out :)..... gotta get a bigger hhd to cuz im only gonna use a 6.4gbhhd and I wanna dualboot with something else too, maybe... either way i need a bigger hdd. :)

You made the right choice, RedHat 8 is the best Linux i've ever used, if MS Word, Nero and photoshop were ported i would be using it all the time.

yup i seen that, and thanks for letting me know :)"im getting psyche" .....it'll probably shave about an hour of my downloading time. :D

ummmmmm hehe... how do I install it ? do i gotta use a win bootdisk to install some drivers so i can use the cd-rom? probably not right ? but i'd like to know how... i havent gone through the radme yet but im going to right away

oh.....duh... haha geeze im dumb... i forgot all about that...its been so long since i installed like that haha... thanks :)

There isn't any. Not conventional stuff anyways, because viruses are almost unheard of.

oh so there are no viruses for linux ? oh... i see virues are only written to do a certian thing to a certian kernel ?

Well linux is very different from windows. Many viruses are designed to take advantage of specific things, so they can't function on another system that lacks those things. Like a windows virus might try to add itself to the registery or startup folder so that it starts on boot, it can't do that in linux (it would have to go to the rc.local or something of the sort).

Because the vast majority of computers run Windows, people usually don't bother making viruses for linux (linux users are probably more computer literate too, and won't be fooled by random email attachments and the such).

Not to say that you shouldn't be concerned with security. If you're running a server, especially, you'll want to stay on top of things and save yourself a lot of trouble. Probably the most important security measure you'll need to consider in linux is a firewall.

i think redhat 8.0 comes with one, should i stick with it ? also if ive get it set to high or even medium security am i going to still be ab;e to run a http/ftp server ?

You might as well give the red hat firewall a try, its probably just based on iptables anyway. It probably has a way for you to allow certain ports through, so just allow the ports on which you plan to run a server.

Back