• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggestions plz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcEmAsTr

I am thinking of getting a 1700+ thoughbred (tbred, just learnt that :p). do u think getting a volcano 9(comes with fan right?) and AS3 would cool it enough(of course with some case fans) to voerclock a tiny bit? since im a n00beh at o/cing im asking for all ya suggestions :D

all greatly appreciated :D

I hear the Volcano 9 is kinda weak, try either the Volcano 7+ or the SLK 700. There are even better coolers out there, if you're willing to spend more.

Yes the volcano 9 comes with the smartfan II which is 80mm and you have 3 ways of controling the fan speed 1.) Full out i.e max rpm 2.) Temp Control 3.) Manually adjust which is what i use. I drop it down to about 3900rpm and I can hardly notice the noise but everyones going to have their own tolerance. Ive got 2 volcano 9's myself and 5 smartfan II's. The volcano 9 is an "alright" HSF very simple design, copper insert and alum fins. Decent clip, needs a flathead screwdriver to mount. Ive got a 1600+ @1680 +.225 vcore at 10C over case temp which isnt great but its very quiet and stable. for the money (32$ CAD) I couldnt find a better deal, of course its not the best preforming HS out there but for the money I love it. Of course if your willing to spend more money on a HSF let us know approx how much and we can throw some suggestions out to you.

-OF

really i would like to get the best HSF for as little as poss, being 15 its rather hard, no jobs in my town either :(

if your are really low on money like i am, i would go for a copper heatsink like a sk-6+(if you have to) or a sk-7, the sk-7 holds a 80mm fan and a sk-6+ can also if you turn it like a diamond
sk-6+=9.99
sk-7=19.99

i bought my things from svcompucycle.com they have the volcano 9 there for 22.99

I know what its like I'm not much older than you, fortunatly I have a job where i can work 20hrs a week so I have a decent computer income. But if your really strapped for cash the volcano 9 will do the job albeit not the greatest job but ive got 2 and on both the noise level is nice and low ive pulled out 280mhz o/c on the one and a 220mhz o/c on the other with elevated vcores and i havent seen my cpu temp get into the 40's. Keep in mind im not using a case for the one computer and the other is side open. But basicly if your broke it'll do the job an allow for some o/c. Of course you look like your in the UK so I dont know what other HSF options are availible to you might be something more cost effective for you that can still do the job.

-OF

ive read bad reviews about it, is a volcano 7 any better?

until i find a good place in UK with SK * i will carry on with volcanoes

Back