• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Re-installing windows 98.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuffRyder88

I am building anew pc, and therefore have to format my old hard disk, and reinstall windows 98. Below are my new system specs:

p4 2.4ghz
abit bd7II mobo
ddr ram
windows98

The thing is, I have the full windows 95 disk and the windows 9 ugrade cd. Will I have to install windows 96 first, and then windows 98?
I am asking becuase i have heard that the upgrade versions are actually the same as the full versions, they just check for previos versions. I have read othe users saying that you will be asked to insert the previous windows cd, and then it will go ahead and install the full new version of windows.

Can anyone help?

Yes, I believe you'll have to install Win95 first and then do the 98 upgrade. The 98 upgrade disc won't work by itself.

You won't have to install 95 first. Put the upgrade CD in the drive, and start installing like normal. Eventually, the install routine will ask for your original 95 CD. Pop that into the CD-ROM drive, and let the install check it. It'll then ask for the 98 upgrade CD back, and continue the install.

I've done it like this a few times :)

Okay cool!
Do you know if this makes any difference in the end, as opposed to installing windows 95 first?
Besides the increase in install time of course!

Oni said:
You won't have to install 95 first. Put the upgrade CD in the drive, and start installing like normal. Eventually, the install routine will ask for your original 95 CD. Pop that into the CD-ROM drive, and let the install check it. It'll then ask for the 98 upgrade CD back, and continue the install.

I've done it like this a few times :)

You said it ONI, and no It does not make a difference in the end. In fact you will not be able to tell. They just want to make sure you are pirating I guess.

RuffRyder88 said:
Okay cool!
Do you know if this makes any difference in the end, as opposed to installing windows 95 first?
Besides the increase in install time of course!

Nope, no difference. MS just wants to make sure you picked up the original Win95 disc, and aren't trying to cheap out and just buy the 98 upgrade.

Will Windows 95 even run on a 2.4 Ghz? I had to step my 1600+ down to 1050mhz just so 95 wouldn't spit out an IOS error at startup.

'Course then I forgot to step it back up to 1.4Ghz and was tearing my hair out over high SETI times for a few weeks, but that's another story. :rolleyes:

Oh, and if you do get 95 working on that, I'd love to hear the boot time for it. :p

When i said difference, I meant peformance difference. I thought maybe it would run slightly better, due to it being a clean install, as opposed to an upgrade over a previous version.

The PerfectCore, really? Can a fast cpu really cause errors in Windows 95?!

ThePerfectCore said:
Will Windows 95 even run on a 2.4 Ghz? I had to step my 1600+ down to 1050mhz just so 95 wouldn't spit out an IOS error at startup.

I had the same thing happen to me when I built a pc for a friend, only with Win98. Same CPU. It wouldn't install while running at 1.4 ghz so I had to bump it down to 1ghz and it worked fine.

Do you think I'll have a problem installing windows 98?
How do put the speed down? Will I have to set the fsb to something like 60MHz???

Back