• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boards with 1/6 Divider?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kochanski

Registered
I'm planning on building a new computer with either an 1800 t-bred A or a faster t-bred B where they are available.

I'm not sure which motherboard to get so I'm asking for your help. My main requirement for a motherboard is to run at around 200 FSB with a high multiplier setting. I assume it would be best to get a board with a 1/6 divider because a 1/5 would put to much stress on my other hardware.

I understand that the nforce boards have a locked divider which would be ideal but they are a bit too expensive for my budget, especially as they dont operate at full performance unless they are rammed in pairs.

This leaves me with the KT333 and KT400 chipsets. Which is the best motherboard with a 1/6 divider?

There is not currently any 1/6 divider boards (the kt400a chipset is rumored to have this feature but those boards will most likely be in the nforce2 price range).

Also to get full advantage of the nforce2 you do NOT have to run the memory in dual ddr. Dual DDR gives only a minor performance improvement and you typically can run a higher fsb with 1 stick of memory anyways.

dual channel ddr doubles bandwith, which is pointless unless you have lower end ddr.

You can get the Epox EP-8RDA non-plus (nforce2) board for around $100 shipped, is that too much money? If that is too much money, then save a little more until you can afford to do an upgrade.:) That's pretty darn cheap for a leading-edge chipset board in my book.

the only board w/ a workin 1/6 is Iwill xp333 but it is ALi chipsset so slow as F******.....

nforce 2 boards lock the ide bus so it is always 33mhz no matter what

You can get the Abit Nf7 nforce2 board, which has a locked PCI, at mwave.com for $100 plus shipping, pretty cheap if you ask me.

Kent

i think SATA is pointless and as of right now, i think i is a marketing gimmick. It will be different once SATA drives come out and you dont need little SATA converter cable thingies

Yeah, that SATA crap is a waste of money right now. It seems like it'll be 2004 before SATA will be the standard.

And the current SATA interfaces are not much faster than UDMA133.

Back