• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matrix3412

Registered
Im looking to get a new mouse... I want a nice smooth mouse for playing Unreal Tournament and maybe a mouse/keyboard combo would do... not too pricey though :)

Thanks for the help :)

I bought the nostromo mouse made by belkin. I really like it a lot. It's got tactile feedback that's REALLY cool in Unreal Tournament 2003. I mean, so neat it vibrates differently depending on what gun you're firing.

A couple of things you might want to know about this mouse:

It's pretty heavy. Honestly, I like that a lot in a gaming mouse. It's not so heavy that it's hard to use...just kinda heavy for a mouse. Seems to me that I play better with a heavier mouse.

It uses the old mouseball. It's not optical. Not a problem for me, but you'll have to clean it occasionally, unlike optical mice.

It's shaped a little different. It's rather smallish, and has a "wing" on the left side that has a button. This button is the third mouse button. The wheel doesn't push in to act as a third button as most mice do. I like it...I don't use the third button very often. And I find that on an ordinary mouse, I'm constantly accidently pressing the wheel in, when I'm only meaning to scroll. The button on the "wing" is positioned very well, IMO---I never push it by accident, so it's not in the way; and, it's close enough to my thumb that it's very easy to use.

here's a link to belkin's website with the details.

It's a little expensive ($30 USD or so) but the vibration feedback alone is WELL worth it, IMO.

edit: I also use their n50 speedpad controller, which is an excellent product, IMO.

if you check the cyber deals forum there is a thread about the logitech mx700 mouse. i don't have one, but i have used it and it is rather nice. can get the mx500, which is the same mouse but with a cord, for somewhat cheaper. personally i just use a microsoft optical mouse and it works great.

First of all, most people don't want Force Feedback mice, however.. if you're interested in one you could get a Logitech Optical mouse with FF.

Anyways.. it basically comes down to two brands. Microsoft and Logitech. I personally like the MS mice better for the simple reason that I think that the Logitech's are too big and heavy. However, that's just a matter of taste. As far as how good they are.. it's pretty much the same when it comes down to "performance".. they have similar technology etc.

So I'd recommend either a Logitech MouseMan optical (preferrably the dual optical mouse) or a Microsoft IntelliEye Explorer 3.0..

But I guess you could give some more info.. like FF?, USB?, Cordless?

Also I'd recommend pairing them up with a good mouse pad.. like a fUnc 1030 precision surface, everglide, or ratzpad..

I just wanted a descent mouse for playing games with, especially unreal tournament... I don't even know what FF is and a normal ps2 mouse would be fine as long as its a good mouse for the games :) I don't want a corldless mouse though, not something I like :/

Thanks for the info everyone :)

MX300 is the one to get.

Same shape as mouseman optical, with the new MX internals.

Improved my UT games right away.

MX500 dont work in the left hand, and thats where I need my
mouse for games. (Although I am right handed. I am a freak.)

I don't even know what FF is
FF-force feedback.

The mouse vibrates. Remember the RumblePack for Nintendo 64? something like that, but a little better--adjustable intensity and themes---you can make the vibration feel "rubbery," "spongey," metallic, etc.

It's really neat in games (games that support it, that is). In UT2k3, each gun "feels" differently when fired. It adds a whole new dimension.

That said, I'd recommend going to Office Depot or some such place so that you can put your hands on the various mice out there, and figure out what fits your hand the best.

Back