• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I actually want to *properly* buy a new mouse. No raiding EVGA sales on a Friday night...

Currently I have a Logitech MX Master 3S, which is a hell of a nice mouse. Ergonomic, great battery life, good weight all that.

The problem is it's just a hair too tall. When the keyboard tray is pushed in, it just barely catches the top of the desk. Tried getting a new mouse pad, no luck.

So outside of ditching a mousepad and just covering a spot with electrical tape (which 15 year old me did...) Or sanding down the top of the 3S, I might be looking for a new mouse.

I've been through the mouse aisle at MC a few times, nothing on display really stood out so I'd like to get opinions before getting something without trying it.

I usually use a "claw grip" over a "palm grip" (think that's what they're called) so maybe something a little smaller yet heavier. Don't need a gaming mouse, in fact I'll avoid it. Many of them are too angular.

Big thing being it has to have a thumb wheel and two thumb buttons or four thumb buttons. I've gotten used to having both volume control and back/forward web navigation on the mouse.

Evga X17 is solid for me.. but it also may be too tall...I also loved the ROG Strix Scope II. Though these are 'gaming' mice too... I think the X17 as the cheaper of the two... but those are what I've used exclusively the last few years.

How tall IS too tall for your desk, so at least we can try to limit suggestions to ones that work.

I also use a modified claw-type grip and have large hands (can palm a girls basketball, almost a mans).

So the 3S is listed as 2.01", and I actually had a 2S before which just barely squeezed under the top. It's listed as 1.91", so I'd probably set that as the upper limit.

I'll take a look at both later today, on mobile right now.

EVGA is 1.75" so you're good there....

Apologies, the Asus is a ROG Strix Gladius II (the Scope is the keyboard)... I don't see a height on it....

Honestly I just checked out the x17, looks like it's $40 at most places including the local MC.

I'll swing by this weekend. It looks a little "edgy" so I want to see if they have any on display.

I actually wanted to ask if anyone used the Logitech MX Anywhere 3. I know it's a "mobile" mouse, but I used a VX Nano when it first launched and liked it as well. Though I tried the first gen MX Anywhere and wasn't too crazy about it.

Just bought a Logitech g502x light speed a week or so ago. Feels good in the hand and my first wireless mouse in a very long time.

Just bought a Logitech g502x light speed a week or so ago. Feels good in the hand and my first wireless mouse in a very long time.

They had the 502s on display at MC. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they're not bad but a little long for me. More "palm grip" that didn't feel right.

Check out the /r/MouseReview subreddit as well. Bunch of recommendation there based on size of hand and grip style etc as well. Fair number of brands I'd never heard of but apparently are very popular as I've been out of that loop for quite some time.

I have but no longer use, an EVGA X15. it could be such a good mouse but the more you use it, it starts to develop a random disconnect issue. its not cable releated its almost like theres some sort of buffer that it cant purge all the way and it overflows and causes strange behavior.

I dont know if the X17 does this. i sent the X15 i had in for RMA but about 3 months later it started doing it again and i gave up, bought a razer something, the one that has the interchangeable sides so it can be like the old Naga Hex i had before and thats what i have now.

i dont WASD, i guess old games ruined that for me so binding functions to the side buttons (theres 7) makes it so i rarely have to move my hand off of either my keyboard or mouse to operate another assigned key

Did a bit of looking - only common issue with the X17 seems to be scroll wheel related.

How are Razers these days? I've been avoiding them since friends and family seemed to complain more than praise them.

, it starts to develop a random disconnect issue. its not cable releated its almost like theres some sort of buffer that it cant purge all the way and it overflows and causes strange behavior.
Now that you mention it.... this happened to me. What solved it was putting the mouse in a usb 3.0+ port from 2.0. Not sure if it was a power thing, maybe my 2.0 port(s) are going bad.... but that stopped it for me.

The scrollwheel has been solid for me. My only complaint is initially in games is when PRESSING it (to reload), I tended to scroll up or down... it was easier with my old mouse not to slip on that.

How are Razers these days? I've been avoiding them since friends and family seemed to complain more than praise them.
Personally I dislike Razer. My boss was asking for it for his son, and he was replacing it once per 8-12 months as it was dying for various reasons. However, after 3 dead Corsair Scimitars (all about 1-2 months after the warranty), I got Razer Naga, and it works well and is somehow more comfortable than Corsair. I need 12-15 programmable buttons for RPG games, and good luck finding anything good with so many buttons. There are 4-5 options on the market.

@freakdiablo keep an eye on the front page. There will be a new mouse on the market dropping on 3/15. Unfortunately, I can't mention what it is due to an NDA but it seems very nice.

Something to check out in the meantime is the Clutch GM41 V2 ($45). I'm assuming you want a wired mouse as this will sit on your desk tray. They do make a wireless version too. Here is my review of the wireless version ($75).

The GM41 is low profile and features a mouse wheel and 2 side buttons.

Did a bit of looking - only common issue with the X17 seems to be scroll wheel related.

This has been ok, better than a randomly disconnecting mouse, my old one lasted a little while but what was the eventual end of it was the fact the, i dont know what to call them, sprus (?) that actually touch the clicky part of the left and right switches of the mouse buttons were starting to crack on the surface of the mouse. almost like i was wearing through it, which was odd after about 2 years.

Now that you mention it.... this happened to me. What solved it was putting the mouse in a usb 3.0+ port from 2.0. Not sure if it was a power thing, maybe my 2.0 port(s) are going bad.... but that stopped it for me.

The scrollwheel has been solid for me. My only complaint is initially in games is when PRESSING it (to reload), I tended to scroll up or down... it was easier with my old mouse not to slip on that.

yea i wish it was that easy, i tried every USB port on the system and still no change. i still have it, its in a box some where and hopefully theres a firmware update some where down the line that addresses it

Thanks, saw the thread, and is actually what I'm looking for in terms of size/shape. If MSI wasn't gouging their own product on Amazon (was at $118 last I checked with the MSI store being the only seller) I'd give it a go as I have several hundred in Amazon gift codes I'm looking to get rid of.

They have it for MSRP if bought direct from MSI, the two "downsides" preventing me from diving on one being

-Only 2x thumb buttons
-"Lightweight"

Personal preference, I'm used to a heavier mouse and use the thumb buttons for both forward/back web navigation and system volume control. If I'm spending three figures on a mouse, the thing better be either AWESOME or wax my car on the weekends, and I don't see the latter advertised.

Hence the issue with many a HID :D

there are b stock x17's on evga's site for $20

i dont know if this is a mid week maddness sale price or a different sale price, i guess we'll see in about an hour. i just saw it (~11pm wed)

Now $20 I can swing on an impulse, I'll give it a go. If it works, it works. If not, I'll pawn it or something.

That is strange because I had the opposite experience. I had intermittent problems with my Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo when the USB dongle was connected to a USB 3.0 port. The problem went away when I connected it to a USB 2.0 port.

Yeah, not sure.... could havee easily been some ports going bad. But, they are in use now (albeit with lesser power draw devices and a new PSU). :shrug: (y)

Back