• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What's the trick to assigning certain mouse buttons in game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
OK, incredibly vague description so here goes...

I've had a couple of mice over the years and they all had the same issue. Some of the buttons I couldn't map to functions in-game. For example, with the current ROG Gladius II, I can't seem to map the thumb button in-game (PUBG, BF, etc). Windows knows it's there.... but any of the games I play don't seem to..

Is this a function of the game supporting all the buttons on a mouse or..............what am I doing wrong here? Ive tried running the drivers and software or without - same result.

A function in the game... anything from push to talk or mark a point to zoom in a sniper rifle. The button seems to not be assignable to any function.

Some games can't see all the buttons on these newer mice. When I run into this problem I assign the in-game macro to a number pad key in the game then map the mouse button to the number pad key in the mouse program.

This is also an easy way to assign long macro chains made in the mouse program to a particular mouse or number pad key.

You can typically assign everything that is on the button/control list in the game settings ... or map it under another key in the game settings, and then sign it to a mouse button. I have no idea what about games that you play as I play some other things but I had no problem with that on Corsair Scimitar and recently on Razer Naga X. Btw.
You can also try to create a macro if the standard activation uses more than 1 keyboard key.

I have the M570 trackball from Logitech and I can assign the page forward and page back buttons in EverQuest, I assume you have the drivers for you mouse installed, when I was helping out at an IT school, no one installed any drivers for the mice but then they were not there to play games :)

I have the M570 trackball from Logitech and I can assign the page forward and page back buttons in EverQuest, I assume you have the drivers for you mouse installed, when I was helping out at an IT school, no one installed any drivers for the mice but then they were not there to play games :)
Such cruelty! One of my first games was Leisure Suit Larry in a drafting class.

LLarry... I remember that on an Apple II e.. :rofl:

Drivers are installed, yep. My games recognize every button outside of the 'third' thumb button.

Sure that isn't a sensitivity or ADS button? My Razer has a button that cycles the DPI and a button that slows down the movement when I hold it down for aiming while sniping. Both can't be changed.

By default, it lowers sensitivity when pressed, yes. It isnt one of those toggles though that cycles through DPI (that's another button). Just lower when pressed.

That said, same issue with other mice where the thumb button didn't do sensitivity and still wasn't mappable in-game.

Will do. My wife brought Covid back on a business trip and gave it to me, so, it's been a rough few days before today. I'll give it a try and report back.

Many thanks, everyone, for the help!! I'll report back soon!

EDIT: Got it. Swapped the button to a keyboard function (you can assign it to mouse/target/keyboard etc) and binned it to the key (F3) I needed. WINNING!

TY!

Last edited:
Back