• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my first problem with western digital...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
well i actually had a hard drive go out on me... just out of the blue, it wouldn't be accessed for anything... what really stinks was that it was my western digital 80 gb caviar se w/8mb cache... that really sucked too cause i had a huge collection of music and stuff on there... i was surprised that the caviar se died and not one of my normal caviars... time to pack up the drive to send it out for a rma...

That sucks big time bro, I've been lucky so far that I've been able to back up the data on both HDDs that have moved on to the "useless side", however, I can still imagine what it's like to lose that much stuff, I'd flip if I lost everything I currently have on my drives.

yeah, i was quite furious for some time... the weird thing is that my raid card detects the drive, but nothing else will actually install it... windows will not even boot if the drive is connected for some reason... i figured that i might be able to write zeros to the drive, but i can't get western digiital's utility to even recognize the thing...

I don't trust western digital, they have one of the highest failure rates of any drives (Maxtor and IBM have the lowest). This is a statistic from storagereview.com.
good luck RMAing

I had a WD go out on me one time but the customer support is excellent. They sent me the new drive first then I shipped the old one back in same box postage paid now thats service!

well i just got my advanced rma in... thank god for the advanced rma's where you get the drive first :D i don't think i could wait the turn around time... i am too impatient... :D why do you think i have a p4 2.4? i don't like to wait ;)

How old was your WD? Was it running warm? What was your PCI bus speed? (I'm starting to worry about my drive ... ) Was there any advance warning, like by scandisk or anything?

Good luck wtih your rma!

Thanks! -- Paul

macklin01 said:
How old was your WD? Was it running warm? What was your PCI bus speed? (I'm starting to worry about my drive ... ) Was there any advance warning, like by scandisk or anything?

Good luck wtih your rma!

Thanks! -- Paul

the drive was probably about 6 months old. it wasn't running that hot... maybe 30 C max (i had a temp sensor right by the drive) and i am at stock bus speed. i think i did have warning though... if you go to "Administrative Tools" and then "Computer Management", then to "Disk Management", it would tell me it was "Online (Errors)". i took this info from the help file:

Online (Errors)
I/O errors have been detected on a region of the disk. A warning icon appears on the disk with errors. Only dynamic disks display the Online (Errors) status.

If the I/O errors are transient, reactivate the disk (using the Reactivate Disk command). This returns the disk to the Online status.

i had my disks set to dynamic, so i could get that error message... i just wish i would have paid attention to that... i would reactivate the disk and it would be fine... i don't know exactly what went wrong, but oh well... too late now.

Hmm, did you have to do anything special to get it to be a dynamic disk? Does that provide any additioanl functionality, as pertains to reliability or otherwise? I hadn't really explored that option ... I don't suppose it's compatible wtih a linux dual-boot, eh? ;)

Thanks again for writing! This is very disturbing to hear ... at least the SE's have a 3 year warranty, so WD won't want to let this happen too much!!!

Good luck! -- Paul

PS @ others: I've generally had very good luck wtih WDs. I'm surprised to hear that they have such a reputation ... I thought IBM was the king of that realm ....

macklin01 said:
Hmm, did you have to do anything special to get it to be a dynamic disk? Does that provide any additioanl functionality, as pertains to reliability or otherwise? I hadn't really explored that option ... I don't suppose it's compatible wtih a linux dual-boot, eh? ;)

Thanks again for writing! This is very disturbing to hear ... at least the SE's have a 3 year warranty, so WD won't want to let this happen too much!!!

Good luck! -- Paul

PS @ others: I've generally had very good luck wtih WDs. I'm surprised to hear that they have such a reputation ... I thought IBM was the king of that realm ....

there really isn't a whole lot of good that comes from making disks dynamic. you can set them up in a software raid... there is a little more diagnostic, but nothing worth it... the gains aren't enough to justify what you lose... you can't copy the partition, you can't resize it, you can't do anything except format it. that sort of sucks...

Ah, thanks for the tips!

Well, at any rate, you've inspired me to do the drive diagnostics and backups that I've been putting off for so long ... ;)

Thanks again, and good luck with your RMA! -- Paul

Back