• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anybody using linux as a proxy server? which?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

Hi all,
I know theres squid but it looks a little over featured. My local police dept would like to have internet access with some security. I suggested a proxy server. being the usual political BS they have no money for real hardware/software. Is there a simple linux proxy server that I can use? I'm a unix veteran but just getting started in linux. As i stated above squid looks a little over featured. I'd like to install something simple and let them manage it.

any ideas would be helpful. Plus if i get the officers internet access they might not bust my parties this summer.

thanks

I know there's a scaled down proxy Linux that will run completely from a boot floppy.... not sure what it's called or where to get it though. A friend runs it and apparently it works pretty well, and doesn't require much of anything powerful to run (486 class machine should do the trick).

One of our other members is singing the praises of Coyote Linux in the "Internet, Networking, and Security" area. It's also a single floppy Linux distribution for internet connection sharing.

Back