• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win XP video problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Some Guy

Registered
THis is pretty dam long so ill start now... My sisters computer which is a compaq presario 4000 waz running win98 and the video worked fine but then she screwed her comp and I upgraded it for her to winXP Pro as a simple fix... now the video freezes every couple of minutes for a few seconds at a time, it seems to come when u click on a icon, im pretty sure the drivers are screwed but i cant find any xp ones on compaqs website. Theres also no free pci slot so i cant just install a different video card. Any suggestions?

Was the machine XP compatible?

I don't know much about compaq [coughgarbagecough] but some prebuilt computers were, and arn't XP ready. and the video hardware on board may not be XP compatable.

?

I didnt think Windows would ever make anything uncompatible... I dont know... ummm ill check. I do agree though, compaqs are heaps of ****, that thing dosnt go a day without giving me problems. Do you think if I freed up a pci slot and added a vid card it would fix the problem? Or should i just revert back to windows 98?

There is some stuff thats not XP Compatable. it would be a waste of effort [ as if microsoft put any effort into it in the first place ] to make it backwards compatable with EVERY piece of hardware.

When you buy parts for your PC you have to make sure their XP compatable or they won't work, or won't work as good.

But yeah, so.. call compaq and make sure the machine is XP compatable, then go from there.

Back